Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream CD (album) cover

Porcupine Tree

3 stars What about "Pop music" being popular in Prog?

I started the checking of PT with Deadwing, The Incident and In Absentia. I have being going back to their material trying to get what is so exciting about them that so many prog fans said about this band and it still miss to hit me. I found here a very "popy" album with some kind of catchy vocals and most of the music at the same cold depressive corner that seem to be the common point in each every album of them.

Now, to be fair, any new listener should know that this is a good production, with great quality of sound and atmosphere. The musicians as usual are in top form, Gavin Harrison don't make too much presence in this particular album, which is strange but at the end, keyboards and guitars took control of the production. Steven Wilson keeps doing his usual catchy guitar riffs and it's a good work indeed. The problem is that I don't find too much "prog rock" in general. This can be one of those alternative rock masterpieces indeed and I would kill for hearing this kind of alternative rock, but as prog, I don't find it anywhere and it's tough to be excited in this kind of music.

I'm still missing the point with PT or is it that their music is not meant for me...? I keep asking me that and I should keep checking their albums. To be fair, I don't dislike the album in general, the problem is that I found too many good reviews and many people encourage to hear them and the result is not impressive, not bad but nothing to be so excited about.

I keep feeling Deadwing their strongest album, this one is way better than In Absentia and The Incident, but I don't find anything especially progressive to give it more than what it deserves. 3 stars is very fair.

jampa17 | 3/5 |