Herbie Hancock - Thrust CD (album) cover

THRUST

Herbie Hancock

Flucktrot
4 stars Yet another limitation of being raised on classic rock radio: I never was exposed to Herbie Hancock and gang's very catchy and groovable funk. With Thurst, you can immediately start tapping your feet, but it's a lot tougher to immediately set down and play along, which means that it can keep progressive ears open to it for many listens after the first.

I typically note the highlights of each album, but this entire album is the highlight: four songs, four extended grooves, and all good. From the unexpected yet welcome percussive intrusions from Summers throughout to Maupin's strategically placed winds to Herbie's maximum syncopation, this is one to enjoy on the headphones or to put on at a party with non-prog guests: I doubt anyone--well perhaps excepting my grandma--would be into this album.

Overall, I think this is a great album for any collection, and it's certainly a great counterpoint to all my bombastic and spastic fusion. Very unique sound, considering the instrumentation, and a very good team effort as well, to produce what is probably my favorite jazzy funk album to date.

Flucktrot | 4/5 |