Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood CD (album) cover

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

Marty McFly
Errors and Omissions Team
5 stars Now with 150% more Medieval-ity. After one not so well accepted album (which I like nevertheless), Tull are back again.

I suppose I have to say that I love/like/appreciate every second of this release. Every little thing from sound of guitars (acoustic, bass and electric, each of them in own specific way), flute not used just for sporadically done soloing (but incorporated into music in its trademark way that shines like a flute-beacon even after 30-40 years of Ian Anderson using it, still getting comparisons to Tull work for other artists). Maybe intro to Pibroch could be better (not bad, but not fitting into "sound" of this album).

Having song melodic and at the same time very complex (and well structured, graduating) is challenge for song writers, but here it works. Because Jethro Tull became some kind of basis for Prog Folk (especially albums that are like this album), it's hard to decide how Prog this is. Or on the other hand it is very easy.

One very personal note. Title song is one of the first songs I've heard by Tull. I heard this on some kind of Best of compilation many years ago, but always skipped it after hearing Songs From the Wood, because I extremely hated its intro. Unfairly as I see now, but this hatred and prejudice seemed to follow me into Prog years too. I'm glad that it's gone now.

I suspect that they took some folk tunes and enhanced, boosted, crafted them into Prog Folk gems, but if it sounds good, I'm not going to argue. The Whistler is probably the "best" song, with very pleasant dual endings on electric guitar & electronic synth (or second guitar ? I'm not sure, but it sure, it's always after singing "alone on the saturday..."), even purpose of this album is more about having consistent work.

5(+), for the Tull.