Life Stage - Stage 1 CD (album) cover

STAGE 1

Life Stage

Mellotron Storm
4 stars LIFE STAGE are a new Prog-Metal band out of Austin, Texas. This is their debut EP, although at only 3 minutes shorter than RUSH's "Permanent Waves" it's not THAT short. The music is heavy and fairly dark with little in the way of solos. I thought of AMPLIFIER several times. I have to say that this recording is almost perfect instrumentally for my tastes.The vocals were a let down when I first heard them on the opening track but I don't mind them now. Funny but it's really only that first song where the vocals sound weak compared to the music.

"Full Proof" sure got me excited the first time I heard it as it opens with an IRON MAIDEN-like guitar line before that's blown away by the riffs. That guitar line is back before 2 minutes followed by riffs again and vocals this time. A change 4 1/2 minutes in. The guitar solos over the heaviness then the opening guitar line returns before 5 1/2 minutes only this time it doesn't leave when the riffs come smashing in. Nice. "Can I ?" has this heavy intro as vocals join in. It settles before 3 minutes then builds. Here we go !

"Instrumorphasis" opens with acoustic guitar melodies. It kicks in before 2 1/2 minutes. Great sound after 3 minutes then it settles again but not for long. A calm 5 minutes in. It blends into "Time Capsule" my favourite track on here.The mellow parts remind me of INCUBUS for some reason. It kicks in at 1 1/2 minutes then settles back as contrasts continue. Emotion before 5 1/2 minutes as it picks back up then the guitar solos. "New Life" turns heavy quickly. This tune is complex with slight tempo shifts. Vocals 2 minutes in. Just killer instrumental work here bringing ZERO HOUR to mind. So impressive. Nice bass 4 1/2 minutes in and check out the guitar before 6 minutes !

These last three tracks are mind blowers folks. Hell ya i'm a fan, and I look forward to their first LP.

Mellotron Storm | 4/5 |