Hoelderlin - Hölderlins Traum CD (album) cover

HÖLDERLINS TRAUM

Hoelderlin

Prog Folk

friso
4 stars Hoelderlin - Hölderlins Traum (1972)

Celeste, Harmonium, Hoelderlin..? On our beloved site about progressive music we aren't always focussed on how beautiful music is. This 'gorgeousness'-element of music is seen as just one of the many elements that came a an album or a song good.

When I got this first album of German psychedelic folk group Hoelderlin it became clear to me that the appreciation of this record was based on both it's well-recorded authentic beauty AND it's psychedelic influences. The vocals in German haven't been a problem for me, though singing in this language has never been a favorable element before. The authentic folky female voice sounds very cute in German! Luckily Nanny DeRuig isn't to trained a vocalist, it would have ruined the authentic atmosphere.

The music. The main body of the record is based on folky guitars at percussions, whilst in the longer instrumental passages psychedelic and even psycho-beat pass me by. Most instruments are acoustic, we get to listen to some flute, mellotron and violin too. There are some male vocals on the trippy Strohalm, whilst "Peter" has a (still) modern indi-pop feel. Other songs feature a fusion between folk, instrumental symphonic rock and psychedelic music.

Conclusion. The record is a bit short with it's 35 minutes, but time also passes by very quickly when I'm listening to it. It's a very enjoyable record with an authentic and honest feel. The instruments are played professional (often problematic in the krautrock scene), the vocals are honest, the composition interesting and the concept refreshing. Furthermore the variety of instruments is good. Very recommended to fans of the progressive folk genre and the krautrock genre. Four stars!

friso | 4/5 |