Strawbs - Hero And Heroine CD (album) cover

HERO AND HEROINE

Strawbs

Prog Folk

Sinusoid
3 stars It became more pleasing as I kept listening to it. For the longest time, I thought only the ''Autumn'' epic was the only worthy track off the album (especially for the Moog at the beginning), but upon recent listenings, I've found more worth out of HERO AND HEROINE than I could have imagined.

The second side is where some of the magic comes out. Sure, tracks like ''Hero and Heroine'', ''Round and Round'' and ''Lay a Little Light on Me'' are completely corny, but the subtle majestic qualities give them a ''prog'' edge here. ''Midnight Sun'' is a vastly underrated cut displaying the beauty of the group at the fullest, and I'm not a guy that normally takes pretty prog seriously. Further props go to ''Out in the Cold'' for sounding like a country song, only non- offensive to my ears.

The only problem track is ''Just Love'', a rock-n-roller that absolutely doesn't fit. It's not that bad if you can stomach the corny prettiness, but I see HERO AND HEROINE as only slightly above- average.

Sinusoid | 3/5 |