Legendary Pink Dots - The Lovers CD (album) cover

Legendary Pink Dots

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars One of the benefits of managing a record/CD store was getting promos from the distibutors. And the sales reps for the different labels quickly developed an idea of what their customers were interested in. As such, the Caroline rep knew I was interested in all sorts of odd music, and gave me some disks by The Legendary Pink Dots. I doubt I would have ever purchased them.

This album, to me sounds like a cross between 80's synth pop, and Daevid Allen silliness and naivete. The first four tracks were recorded live. Patrick Wright's violin is what makes these interesting. The better tracks, and more prog to my ears are the two parts of The Lovers, with the second part being almost symphonic, and the final track Premonition 16, that makes me feel like Spinal Tap recorded a new wave piece.

Not uninteresting, but not something that compels me to listen again.

Evolver | 3/5 |