Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound CD (album) cover

TIGHTLY UNWOUND

Pineapple Thief

arcane-beautiful
4 stars This was my first album from these guys, and I was suprised how much I enjoyed it.

I do have some criticisms with them, mainly their influences, which almost make these guys sound like a Porucpine Tree/Radiohead/Anathema cover band at times, but the material is quite strong.

This album was very enjoyable and their are great songs, so I couldn't really attack them for such noticable flaws, because their was only slight stabs of influence where it diluted the bands own original sound.

1. My Debt To You - Beautiful chorus. The vocal harmonies are very Red Hot Chili Peppers. Very Anathema meets Radiohead. 10/10

2. Shoot First - A wee bit too much like Porcupine Tree. Kick ass riffs and a pretty cool chorus. 9/10

3. Sinners - The vocals sound exactly like Steven Wilson. Great chorus. 9/10

4. Tightly Wound - Quite dark and some great rhythmic qualities. Great mellotron work. The end is quite beautiful. 8/10

5. The Sorry State - Very Radiohead. Great chorus and some interesting vocal harmonies. 9/10

6. My Bleeding Hand - Very Porcupine Tree. Interesting guitar solo and chorus. 8/10

7. Different World - Great mellotron intro. Has a post metal vibe to it. This song just flows so well. Love the vocal melodies throughout. The instrumental section does sound alot like Sigur Rós. 10/10

8. And So Say All Of You - The violin work is beautiful. Pretty interesting arrangment. 8/10

9. Too Much To Lose - Wow 15 minutes long. Pretty interesting arrangement. The instrumental section is quite eerie and again shows post metal characteristics. The spoken word passage is way too Porcupine Tree. Pretty cool song though. 9/10

CONCLUSION: This was a really great album, even though the influences are almost like carbon copies. Haha.

arcane-beautiful | 4/5 |