The Who - Tommy CD (album) cover

The Who

Proto-Prog

arcane-beautiful
5 stars The Concept Album Part 1

It's not hard to listen to this album, and not just be flushed with just the pure excellence of it.

This album is a pure masterpiece, and is a real landmark in music history.

This album did have alot of spin offs, including a movie, musical and other werid stuff.

I recomend the movie, it is quite good & at times very weird, and can even mess with your mind a wee bit (as I will tell you later)

1. Overture - A perfect presentation of themes, musically put together. 10/10

2. It's A Boy - Beautiful vocal harmonies and climaxes. 10/10

3. 1921 - One of my favourite songs on the album. I love the vocals in it, Pete & Roger do create a great colourfull harmony. 10/10

4. Amazing Journey - The lyrics of the song freak me out a wee bit, but it does have a great chorus. 9/10

5. Sparks - Quite psychadellic. Pretty cool. 8/10

6. The Hawker (Eyesight To The Blind) - The best parts of this song are the dominant bass and drums. 10/10

7. Christmas - Great song with some werid time changes and even werid goony like backing vocals. I love this song too much to hate it really. 10/10

8. Cousin Kevin - I remember falling asleep on my couch, and waking up to find my dad was watching the movie of this album. This scene really dug hard into my brain and I remember having weird and quite scary dreams after it. But, besides that, this is my favourite song on the album. The quite complex harmonies creating a quite fugal feel are amazing. 10/10

9. The Acid Queen - I do prefer the movie version, mainly because Tina Turner's performance was quite provacative but nontheless amazing. I'm not the biggest fan of Daltrey's voice in this song. 8/10

10. Underture - A wee bit long in my opinion, but great representation of the themes. 9/10

11. Do You Think It's Alright - Basically leads to the next song. 10/10

12. Fiddle About - The movie version of this song is incredibly weird, but suprisingly funny. Keith Moons portrayal was quite eccentric, but very funny in a very moral defining way. 10/10

13. Pinball Wizard - Again the movie version is better, and I prefer Elton John singing this song. 10/10

14. There's A Doctor - Another interlude. 9/10

15. Go To The Mirror! -My brother's favourite song from this album. I do agree with him, this song does rule. Amazingly put together. 10/10

16. Tommy Can Your Hear Me? - The movie version of this song was ver weird, and I prefer the folkly acoustic feeling of the album version. 10/10

17. Smash The Mirror - Great song, again I prefer the movie version, the actresss playing his mother (I forget her name) did an amazing job. 10/10

18. Sensation - This song is quite cathcy, and has very Beach Boys vibe to it. 9/10

19. Miracle Cure - Interlude basically. 9/10

20. Sally Simpson - I detest the movie version of this song. To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of it anyway. 8/10

21. I'm Free - Why is this song near the end of the album, when it should come before Sensation (the movie got it right). 9/10

22. Welcome - I'm not the biggest fan of this song (to be honest the ending never really got me, I loved the rest though). 8/10

23. Tommy's Holiday Camp - How can you not like this song. 9/10

24. We're Not Gonna Take It! - Pretty cool ending. I hate the first verse of the song, I always thought the cork bit was quite innuendo to be honest. 9/10

CONCLUSION: Either you've heard it or you need to hear it.

20.