The Wishing Tree - Ostara CD (album) cover

The Wishing Tree

2 stars I ordered this album to my library but it was mostly a waste. Not only it is rarely borrowed, I myself didn't much enjoy it. WISHING TREE is a side project of Marillion guitarist Steve Rothery teaming up with singer Hannah Stobart. Her voice is okay - though I wouldn't quite compare her to Heather Findlay of Mostly Autumn - but the problem is, everything about this album is just okay, nothing more. I listened to it for a couple of times but there was absolutely nothing to get excited about. If I heard a track on the car radio I probably wouldn't pay much attention.

"Prog Related" is a big exaggeration. This is just harmless pop with supposedly some folkish feel and with nice guitar centred sound - naturally - but extremely forgettable when it comes to the song writing. Somehow it felt like American AOR. I know, I should have given it more listenings really, but in these matters I'm usually very remorseless: music has to make SOME (no matter how faint) impression in the first listening to gain more. Sorry.

Matti | 2/5 |