Pink Floyd - Works CD (album) cover

WORKS

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Flucktrot
1 stars Pink Floyd excelled at many things, but compilation albums definitely were not among them. Back when I was a kid and Floyd was my favorite band (before I found prog and added multiple favorite bands among them), anytime I was asked what I wanted for a gift, I always said a different Floyd album.

Works was one of those that I actually did enjoy, partly because it gave me hints of the early Floyd sound without me actually having to listen to the albums (and I still can't really get into most early Floyd). But upon later historical perspective, I realized how ridiculous this album was for 1983. As noted by others, what's the overarching theme? What's the hook? Maybe it's just "early Pink Floyd", but that's what makes the inclusion of Brain Damage/Eclipse (just different enough with the alternate mix) all the more puzzling/irritating.

Every Floyd fan should have Arnold Layne and See Emily Play, so if Works is how you obtain them, then it's worth picking up. Also, my two cents is that I am just not a big fan of either Ummagumma or Saucerful of Secrets, so having Set the Controls and Species is enough for me, although I know some early Floyd devotees may be wincing with this admission.

The rest of the songs are from albums that we all need to possess, and so Works is likely to add little value to most of our collections in that regard. Based on that, I think I'll give Works the "only for completionists" label.

Flucktrot | 1/5 |