Lucifer Was - The Crown Of Creation CD (album) cover

Lucifer Was

4 stars I should preface this review with a warning that I am really biased towards this kind of music - that is, the operatic/symphonic/dramatic concept album - and I have been since before I got into progressive music. As such, when I read Windhawk's and Marty's review of this album, where they described it as such, I knew it was inevitable that I would hear this album, hopefully sooner rather than later.

The music included herein is really good and very strong. Although in the opening track, Wonder, you get the impression that this album is going to be carried mostly by the rock instruments, by the time that romantic Unformed and Void begins playing, there is no doubt in your mind that Lucifer Was have made great use of the Kristiansand Symphonic Orchestra.

Stylistically, Lucifer Was makes much more use of the orchestra than they do their own rock instruments on this album, and when the rock instruments do make an appearance, very rarely do they dominate the soundscape - I must say that this album, both due to the way it is mixed and the way it is composed, has perhaps the best integration of rock music into an orchestra I've heard (for sure it is not the other way around!). If anything, the string section is the dominant element of this music, which works great as far as I am concerned.

Be prepared to give this gem a few listens before it truly sinks in. I was a little disappointed on my first few listens but repeated listens have revealed depth and texture I missed at first. The music carefully and slowly builds up emotion with the orchestra (except in some of the more rocking sections, like Rising Sun and Into the Blue). The vocals are excellent and very dramatic as well, featuring both male and female singers, which is perfect for this type of music.

Overall, an excellent concept album, featuring great orchestration and drama.

TheGazzardian | 4/5 |