Stanley Clarke - Rocks, Pebbles, and Sand CD (album) cover

Stanley Clarke

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars This is a completely schizo album. Side 1 of the LP showcases Stanley Clarke's rock side. The songs are similar to some of Jeff Beck's rock songs (but with fantastic bass solos).

Side 2 is more like what we are used to with Stanley Clarke's fusion albums. The first song You/Me Together is the sappy soul vocal piece. We Supply is a more funky vocal piece. And then there's the three part The Story Of A Man And A Woman. It starts out very promising, with high speed quotes from some of his earlier albums, in a section titled She Thought I Was Stanley Clarke. The second section is much more low key, another vocal piece. And part three, I Nearly Went Crazy (Until I Realized What Had Occurred) brings back the quotes. Unfortunately, parts 1 and 3 are way too short, and part 2 is way too long.

4 Stars for side 1, 2.5 stars for side 2. Average = 3.25 stars.

Evolver | 3/5 |