Marillion - Misplaced Childhood CD (album) cover

MISPLACED CHILDHOOD

Marillion

Lark the Starless
5 stars On a trip to Tijuana, Mexico with my family about two months ago, I stepped in a record store at a nearby plaza. As is the case with music stores, I stayed behind while the family went to check out other stores. I was searching curiously when I came across a familiar album cover. It was indeed Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood." Prior to that day, I was intent on discovering Marillion. Imagine my surprise when I came in contact with it!

I immediately reserved it (as it was the only copy there) and bought it right away. When I got back home, I played it and let me tell you, I did not expect the intense roller coaster ride of emotions I heard. I knew that this album was very special from the first listen. So rich, so illustrious, so wonderful.

1. "Pseudo Silk Kimono" welcomes the listener in a mysterious and grand way. Fish's voice starts things off so beautifully that one just can't get enough. A short yet pleasant prologue, this song sets the mood of what is to come, an extraordinary concept. 9/10

2. The wonderful, catchy, poppy tune that is "Kayleigh"! Such a beautifully crafted song and one of my many favorites from the album. I absolutely love the opening lyrics,

"Do you remember, chalk hearts melting on a playground wall? Do you remember, dawn escaped from moon-washed college halls?"

Regardless of what the neo-prog haters say, this is a great song, dealing with lost loves from the past. (I also enjoyed the music video). 10/10

3. "Lavender" reminds me of playful tunes that kindergarteners tend to sing, which is not necessarily a bad thing, as the concept speaks of childhood "loves". Brief, yet fitting in the story. 9/10

4. "Bitter Suite" displays a wonderful array of emotions divided in sections that flow smoothly, each with their own distinctive qualities. A striking quilt of a song, enveloping the listener with scenes from Fish's lyrics. 9/10

5. "Hearts of Lothian" is such a powerful song, revealing Fish's pride towards his Scottish roots.This song appeals to me especially, being a teenage male, and the frequent feelings of being a hotshot. The chant of "I was born with a heart of Lothian!" really strikes a chord with the listener. One of my favorite tracks, without a doubt. 10/10

6. "Waterhole (Expresso Bongo)" is a short tune and while it is my least favorite song from the album, it definitely has a nice xylophone riff to it that introduces the second half of the story. 8.5/10

7. "Lords of the Backstage" is a bit of an homage to fellow prog bands, Renaissance and VDGG, as heard in the lyrics. A great and powerful song that then transitions to the epic of the album. 8.5/10

8. The epic "Blind Curve" is nothing short of perfect. Here, the band is at their peak and working as a cohesive unit. The struggle, the emotion, the desperation, you feel it as you are listening to the song. Listen to it and you will hear what I mean. The music is absolutely brilliant, from Steve Rothery's ethereal notes to Fish's spectacular voice. The best track of the album, easily. 10/10

9. "Childhood's End?" is the light of hope. The feel-good song that consoles you, that tells you everything will be alright. All that was lost was direction, and they found direction! Such a strong message and very moving music and lyrics. Perfectly lush. 10/10

10. Alas, we reach the end. "White Feather" beings the album to a close. The chant of "I will wear your white feather! I will carry your white flag!" makes it hard not to join along and sing. A fabulous song that brings this fabulous album to an end. 9/10

Bonus tracks (just B-sides):

11. "Lady Nina" - The B-side to "Kayleigh". Quite the catchy tune and has a very 80s new wave atmosphere. 8.5/10

12. "Freaks" - The B-side to "Lavender". The better of the two B-sides, this lesser known track in Marillion's catalogue is definitely one to discover. Great song. 9/10

110.5/12 = 92.08% = 5 stars

This album is highly recommended for newcomers to neo-prog and prog itself. A perfect example of music at its peak.

A true masterpiece and essential.

Lark the Starless | 5/5 |