Moonlight Sky - I Am CD (album) cover

I AM

Moonlight Sky

kole
5 stars Moonlight Sky is a rare view, here in Slovenia. Once a marvelous prog scene (Predmestje, September, Izvir...) is now overflown with average bands. But Moonlight Sky showed everyone that prog is a great music genre and that one can (partially) succeed in it even in Slovenia.

"I Am" is Moonlight Sky's second album. The first one was a great breakthrough, though it has some flaws, especially vocals, which is quite false. I can't say that in this case. Andra? Kr?ič had somekind of stroke or something, because his singing improved 100%. Though most of it is electronically modified, and their livep layings of these songs have little or no vocals. The vocal part is being played by a fantastic guitarist, one of the best I've ever seen, Miha Petric. He has quite a unique technique, fingers only, but it is so much more, so watch some of their live footage on youtube.

"I Am" has everything for everyone; Some Floyds, some Crimson, some of Al di Meola's guitar magic, but all in all, they are quite unique. And in a good way. I can without doubt say that "I Am" is one of the best progressive rock records in Slovenia's (and Yogoslavia's) history. It is definitely the best since Slovenia's independence in 1991. I can't say I have favourites, because the whole album is, well, simply a masterpiece. The peak is, in my opinion, the fifth song, "One Day One Night", but that's just me. Kinda neo-symphonic prog piece, if that makes sense. But really, you oughta listen to this album.

kole | 5/5 |