Genesis - A Trick of the Tail CD (album) cover

A TRICK OF THE TAIL

Genesis

BrufordFreak
4 stars 1. Dance On A Volcano (5:53) Great opening--especially the second section. Genesis is not dead!
Not sure what the song is about, but it works for me! 7/10

2. Entangled (6:28) IMO, one of Genesis's greatest songs--top five! Tony's eerie solo, the 12-strings and bass pedals are awesome. Steve's mixed way too quietly! 10/10

3. Squonk (6:27)
Great opening guitar hook, good vocals with really weak lyrics (Is this the pre-history to "A Trick of the Tail"?). The song really never goes anywhere. (It was pretty boring--a letdown--in concert.) 6/10

4. Mad Man Moon (7:35)
Beautiful song, sensitive, melodic, varied and rich. One of Tony Banks's most majestic. 8/10

5. Robbery, Assault & Battery (6:15) Genesis had a habit of laying down some really interesting, really beautiful music and then, IMO, ruining it with either horrible lyrics or over-dramatic presentation. This is one of those songs. 8/10 musically + 2/10 lyrics and presentation = average of 5/10

6. Ripples (8:03) A song I can never seem to hear too often or too much. I was always disappointed Hackett's guitar was mixed so far in the background and so thin. 9/10

7. A Trick Of The Tail (4:34) is actually a very cute, bouncy song. Theatric and mythic with a modern moral. A nice change of pace. Tight presentation; no fluff or excess. 8/10

8. Los Endos (5:46) An awesome overture/finale of this new adventure in Genesis world. (Great concert closer teamed with "Dance on a Volcano" and with Chester and Phil pounding away together in the background.) 9/10

"Trick" is not a bad album. In fact, it is a rather good album. Why they mixed Hackett so quietly into the mix, I'll never know, but I love hearing the drums, basses, and keys.

I really get the argument that this album may mark the beginning of the Neo era--that the "classic" prog era was over. There is just something 'different' about this and its counterpart "Voyage of the Acolyte."

BrufordFreak | 4/5 |