The Enid - Aerie Faerie Nonsense CD (album) cover

AERIE FAERIE NONSENSE

The Enid

richardh
5 stars The version I am reviewing (remastered June 2010) has a different track listing and is a lot shorter than that given in the details (36 minutes!!).Mine has 6 tracks 1.Prelude 2.Mayday Galliard 3.Ondine 4.Childe Roland 5.Fand I 6.Fand II. Thought I better make that clear from the onset and it does affect my overall impression and marks awarded.

Listening to this and In The Region Of The Summer Stars back to back I like this a lot more.The question being posed by other reviewers seems to be whether this is actually prog rock or a symphony.Does it matter if its good? Anyway there is definitely a drummer on the album so it comes under prog rock! At pretty much the same time this was released ELP were recording the brilliant symphonic prog track Pirates(from Works Volume One) with the L'Orchestra Du Paris so I'm comfortable this comes with the genre we are discussing.

BUT is it any good? Certainly is! I found this overall a much more satisfying listen than In The Region Of The Summer Stars. The composition is more complete to my ears with more thought given to the flow of the music.I also really enjoy the use of orchestra and classical instrumentation. I have a tiny classical collection so my knowledge of such things is a bit sketchy. However I do know this is beautifully written and conceived. It is mainly orchestrated but drums,synths and guitars do figure along the way.All done for the benefit of the music to my ears.Despite the grandiose themes the music never sounds bloated or overdone. The creative vision reigns supreme.

Masterpeice then? Yes why not. Music like this is so rare it should be treasured.

richardh | 5/5 |