Henry Kaiser - Hope You Like Our New Direction CD (album) cover

Henry Kaiser

RIO/Avant-Prog

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars The title of this album is a bit of a joke, as this album shows Henry Kaiser and his many cohorts going off in all directions at once. There is rock, there is fusion, there are a vast number of different world music flavors. But since the central theme is Henry Kaiser's guitar, it is mostly great music.

While I enjoy Kaiser's excursions into Asian, Middle Eastern and African music, it's his wild electric guitar soloing that I most prefer to hear from him. So therefore, my favorite tracks are the cover of David Essex' classic Rock On (with not as cool vocals as the original, but much better guitar), The Mamas & The Papas California Dreamin' (with spectacular guitaring), Windham Hell, a short guitar piece referring to his time on a certain new age label, and especially High School Hellcats, a punk jazz extravaganza.

I happen to love Kaiser's guitar in just about any setting, but this one is for fans of varied types of music.

Evolver | 3/5 |