Return To Forever - Where Have I Known You Before CD (album) cover

WHERE HAVE I KNOWN YOU BEFORE

Return To Forever

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars With Al Di Meola added to the line up as a replacement for Bill Connors, the prog rocking side of RTF takes off for real now, though there isn't much difference with Hymn of the Sevent Galaxy, meaning we get virtuoso focused energy fusion with a funky backbone and nice dots of melody.

The sound got more polished then on previous albums, with a lighter drum sound and lots of synthetic keyboard sounds. The melodies sometimes lend a romantic Latin flavor, as can be witnessed on The Shadow of Lo but mostly this is highly dexterous action fusion with a central position for musicianship, sometimes overshadowing the compositions which I don't always find that memorable. Beyond the 7th Galaxy and Song to the Pharaoh Kings are the exceptions in the positive sense, especially that last one is a killer track ranking amongst my favorite RTF tracks.

Where Have I known You Before is a very strong album if you appreciate great musicianship. But despite all that, I keep having some reservation when it comes to this band, it's a question of taste I presume, but I much prefer the more emotionally charged fusion of Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock and early Weather Report. The closing track is phenomenal, but I miss some heart and soul in the remainder of the material.

Bonnek | 3/5 |