WHERE HAVE I KNOWN YOU BEFORE

Return To Forever Where Have I Known You Before album cover

Buy RETURN TO FOREVER Music
Studio Album, released in 1974

1. Vulcan Worlds (7:54)
2. Where Have I Loved You Before (1:01)
3. Shadow Of Lo (7:34)
4. Where Have I Danced With You Before (3:11)
5. Beyond The Seventh Galaxy (3:11)
6. Earth Juice (3:45)
7. Where Have I Known You Before? (2:09)
8. Song To The Pharoah Kings (14:21)

Search RETURN TO FOREVER Where Have I Known You Before lyrics

Search RETURN TO FOREVER Where Have I Known You Before tabs

- Chick Corea / organ, synthesizer, percussion, piano, clavinet)
- Al DiMeola / acoustic guitar, guitar, electric guitar
- Stanley Clarke / organ, bass, percussion, bass guitar
- Lenny White / percussion, bongos, conga, drums

Polydor 825206-2

RETURN TO FOREVER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RETURN TO FOREVER Where Have I Known You Before Music

Romantic WarriorRomantic Warrior
Sony UK 1999
The Mothership Returns (2CD/DVD)The Mothership Returns (2CD/DVD)
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2012
No MysteryNo Mystery
Polygram Records 1990
Live: Complete ConcertLive: Complete Concert
101 DISTRIBUTION 2011
Where Have I Known You Before/No MysteryWhere Have I Known You Before/No Mystery
Bear Family 2008
Eagle Records (Fontana) 2009
CHICK COREA Return to Forever Russian LP EX US $5.98 Buy It Now 46m 14s
RETURN TO FOREVER-MUSICMAGIC-JAPAN BLU-SPEC CD2 D73 US $21.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
CHICK COREA "NM WAX" Return to Forever MPF1136 OBI LP Ac6641 US $10.50 [2 bids]
Return to Forever Romantic Warrion VG++ PC34076 1982 US $10.95 Buy It Now 3h 31m
RETURN TO FOREVER LP WHERE HAVE I KNOWN YOU BEFORE US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Return To Forever, Live/LP Columbia PC 35281/Canada 1978 Chick Corea/Clarke US $4.00 [0 bids]
Romantic Warrior 12" Return To Forever Columbia Rare Jazz LP VG++ US $22.99 Buy It Now 6h 16m
CHICK COREA "NM WAX" Return to Forever 25MJ3220 LP Ad0635 US $7.99 [0 bids]
A852 CHICK COREA / RETURN TO FOREVER JAPAN CD 3112-8 (35PO) 3500 YEN US $44.99 Buy It Now 12h 56m
RETURN TO FOREVER-Live Rare Japan LP w/OBI US $39.99 Buy It Now 13h 37m
CHICK COREA RETURN TO FOREVER MUSICMAGIC 1997 JAPAN EDITION MINI LP CD US $34.99 Buy It Now 16h 27m
Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy by Chick Corea/Return to Forever (CD, Apr-1991,... US $6.93 Buy It Now 17h 2m
RETURN TO FOREVER 'Earth Juice' unplayed Promo 45 HEAR! US $5.99 Buy It Now 17h 10m
Return To Forever - Live RARE 1978 White Label Promo LP Farrell / Corea / Clarke US $16.24 Buy It Now 17h 32m
LOT OF 4 JAZZ FUSION LP: ELEVENTH HOUSE; WEATHER REPORT; RETURN TO FOREVER;SPYRO US $12.99 Buy It Now 20h 36m
RETURN TO FOREVER-MUSIC MAGIC-JAPAN MINI LP BLU-SPEC CD E50 US $24.99 Buy It Now 21h 45m
RETURN TO FOREVER ROMANTIC WARRIOR 180GM LP VINYL NEW US $34.80 Buy It Now 21h 45m
Return To Forever - Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy [CD New] US $9.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICK COREA & RETURN TO FOREVER - HYMN OF THE 7TH GALAXY NEW CD US $16.18 Buy It Now 1 day
This Is Jazz 12 by Return to Forever US $2.49 Buy It Now 1 day
RETURN TO FOREVER / LIVE / CASSETTE TAPE / CBS US $7.44 Buy It Now 1 day
RETURN TO FOREVER Where Have I Known Chick Corea LP US $8.37 Buy It Now 1 day
No Mystery by Return to Forever featuring Chick Corea -- Used CD Jazz Import US $49.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Chick Corea LP Return To Forever Light As A Feather German Import EX LOOK At It! US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
RETURN TO FOREVER - LIVE, JC 35281 COLUMBIA PROMO US $17.00 Buy It Now 1 day
AL DIMEOLA Splendido Hotel 2-LP VG+ Corea, Hammer, Les Paul RETURN TO FOREVER US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NO MYSTERY RETURN TO FOREVER FEATURING CHICK COREA POLYDOR RECORDS PD-6512 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Return To Forever - Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy CD US $13.89 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICK COREA - RETURN TO FOREVER Rare 1st Polish Press BUY UP TO 4 US $4.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Return to Forever LP Romantic Warrior CBS 1976 US $10.95 Buy It Now 1 day
RETURN TO FOREVER live 82808 A1/B1 1st pressing uk cbs 1978 LP PS EX/EX US $14.90 Buy It Now 1 day
CHICK COREA & AL DiMEOLA Return To Forever "No Mystery" 1975 POLYDOR STEREO LP US $9.60 Buy It Now 1 day
Light As A Feather by Chick Corea & Return to Forever LP (1973, Polydor) EX- US $4.00 [0 bids]
Light as a Feather by Chick Corea/Return to Forever (CD, Oct-1990, Verve) US $4.99 [0 bids]
3 LP's Chick Corea Elektric Band Eye Beholder Return To Forever Romantic Warrior US $9.99 [0 bids]
Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever (CD, Oct-1999, Legacy) US $19.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Japan SHM-CD CHICK COREA Return To Forever 1972 US $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
52nd STREET - Something's Going On CD MCA 42079 return to forever lenny white US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RETURN TO FOREVER ROMANTIC WARRIOR CBS 81221 DUTCH PRESSING VINYL LP US $8.00 [0 bids]
PARTICLE Launchpad CD Nstrmntl PROG Pink Floyd Return To Forever Ozric Tentacles US $6.99 [0 bids]
CHICK COREA "NM WAX" Return to Forever 25MJ3220 LP Ad0635 US $4.99 [0 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER The Mothership Returns DELUXE 2 CD & 1 DVD 3 DISC BOX US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RETURN TO FOREVER CHICK COREA LIVE COMPLETE CONCERT JAPAN MINI LP Blu-spec CD US $49.80 Buy It Now 2 days
Return To Forever featuring Chick Corea: No Mystery Polydor PD 6512 US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Return to Forever Japan Mail Order only Family Club Vinyl LP Chick Corea US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Return To Forever "Romantic warrior" mini LP CD Japan Chick Corea US $19.99 [0 bids]
Romantic Warrior [Remaster] by Return to Forever (CD, Feb-2000, Sony Music... US $0.67 [4 bids]
Return To Forever & Chick Corea(Vinyl LP)Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy-UK-VG/VG US $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
New: RETURN TO FOREVER / CHICK COREA - Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy [Import] CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 2 days
RETURN TO FOREVER Chick Corea EARTH JUSTICE b/w Beyond Seventh Galaxy STOCK M- US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Return to Forever feat. Chick Corea - Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy CD OBI US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Al Di Meola Lp Casino Jazz Guitar x Return To Forever US $3.99 [0 bids]
Light as a feather - Chick Corea and return to forever - Polydor PD 5525 US $7.50 Buy It Now 3 days
AL DI MEOLA Casino 8 Track Tape VG+ RETURN TO FOREVER JAZZ GUITAR US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
RETURN TO FOREVER - LIVE - US $8.99 [0 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER MUSICMAGIC 1977 JAZZ PROMO 45 IN COMPANY SLEEVE US $2.99 [1 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER ROMANTIC WARRIOR COLUMBIA RECORDS PC-34076 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Chick Corea Return To Forever LP 180 Gr Vinyl NEW ECM US $49.85 Buy It Now 3 days
RETURN TO FOREVER 'MUSICMAGIC' DUTCH IMPORT LP US $13.25 Buy It Now 3 days
RETURN TO FOREVER 'LIVE' UK LP US $13.25 Buy It Now 3 days
Return to Forever featuring Chick Corea - No Mystery LP - Polydor Records PD6512 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Return to Forever LIVE Ft Chick Corea Joe Farrell Stanley Clarke SEALED LP Vinyl US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Return To Forever: Musicmagic Chick Corea Stanley Clarke LP Vinyl Record NM !! US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CHICK COREA - Return to Forever LP Latin Jazz Funk on ECM Original U.S. VG++ US $4.65 [1 bids]
CHICK COREA 'RETURN TO FOREVER' US IMPORT LP US $24.85 Buy It Now 3 days
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior CD OBI US $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
RETURN TO FOREVER-Live-Rare White Label Promotional Only Album-CHICK COREA US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Return To Forever - The Mothership Returns (NEW 2 x CD+DVD) US $25.26 Buy It Now 3 days
2 LP Lot Keith Jarrett "The Koln Concert" & Return To Forever "Musicmagic" US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CHICH COREA QUINTET RETURN TO FOREVER POLYDOR MP 2273 Japan OBI Vinyl LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
CHICK COREA AND RETURN TO FOREVER LIGHT AS A FEATHER POLYDOR MP 2304 OBI LP US $5.50 [3 bids]
CHICK COREA AND RETURN TO FOREVER LIGHT AS FEATHER POLYDOR PROMO OBI LP US $5.50 [3 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER ft CHICK COREA HYMN OF THE SEVENTH GALAXY POLYDOR PROMO OBI LP US $5.50 [3 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER ft CHICK COREA WHERE HAVE I KNOWN YOU BEFORE PROMO OBI LP US $0.99 [1 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER,CHICK COREA NO MYSTERY POLYDOR MP 2470 Japan OBI Vinyl LP US $5.50 [5 bids]
CHICK COREA WHERE HAVE I KNOWN YOU BEFORE RETURN TO FOREVER POLYDOR OBI PROMO LP US $1.04 [2 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER Feat CHICK COREA No Mystery Orig 1st US 75 Polydor JAZZ US $16.56 [0 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER Live JC35281 LP Ac7815 US $9.99 [0 bids]
CHICK COREA "NM WAX" Return to Forever MPF1136 LP Ab4940 US $9.99 [0 bids]
MINNIE RIPERTON RETURN TO FOREVER HERE WE GO RECORD LP CAPITOL RECORDS MINT US $4.99 [0 bids]
CHICK COREA and RETURN TO FOREVER - LIGHT AS A FEATHER ,lp vinyl, Stanley Clarke US $3.99 [0 bids]
Chick Correa Return To Forever LP Polydor # PD 5525 Record Excellent +++ US $10.99 Buy It Now 4 days
RETURN TO FOREVER & CHICK COREA No Mystery POLYDOR LP NM US $8.00 [0 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER LP MUSICMAGIC CBS US $7.99 [0 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER No Mystery SEALED 8-Track Chick Corea 1975 Jazz Rock Fusion US $2.99 [0 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER: The Best Of LP COLUMBIA RECORDS JC36359 US 1980 NM US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
RETURN TO FOREVER CHICK COREA Japan 1978 NM LP LIVE US $39.99 Buy It Now 4 days
RETURN TO FOREVER Romantic Warrior LP 1976 Columbia 34076 white label promo US $9.99 [0 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER Where Have I Known LP 1974 Polydor 6509 Chick Corea US $6.99 [0 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER Musicmagic, original vinyl LP, 1977, EX! Chick Corea, jazz US $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
#1 Chic Corea Return To Forever Romantic Warrior LP Factory Sealed US $9.99 [0 bids]
Musicmagic (CD) Return to Forever US $21.50 Buy It Now 4 days
"Classic Rock" "Return to Forever featuring Chick Corea" "Rare Lp" US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever (CD, Dec-1991, Columbia (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Musicmagic by Return to Forever (CD, Sep-2011, Sony Japan) US $32.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Chick Corea-Return To Forever-Hymn Of Seventh Galaxy-LP-Polydor-PD 5536-Vinyl US $3.77 [0 bids]
RETURN TO FOREVER Romantic Warrior JAPAN Limited Mini LP CD 1997 W/Obi RARE!! US $69.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Where Have I Known You Before/No Mystery by Chick Corea/Return to Forever... US $15.51 Buy It Now 4 days
CHICK COREA-RETURN TO FOREVER-JAPAN SHM-CD Ltd/Ed D20 US $22.50 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy RETURN TO FOREVER music online Buy RETURN TO FOREVER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RETURN TO FOREVER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RETURN TO FOREVER Where Have I Known You Before ratings distribution

RETURN TO FOREVER Where Have I Known You Before reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars This is the realm of the fusion featuring the pivotal band RETURN TO FOREVER with an amazing line-up: Al DiMeola on guitars, Stanley Clarke on bass (also organ and percussion), Lenny White on drum and percussion and bandleader Chick Corea on keyboards and percussion, four virtuosic musicians! The strong point on this album is the exciting interplay in eight tasteful and varied compositions, from mellow (with acoustic piano) to propulsive with many outstanding soli on keyboards (Minimoog) and electric guitar. Al DiMeola has a very distinctive sound: powerful, fast and using a special technique by 'deading' the strings, very spectacular when playing so fast! The absolute highlight is the track "Song To The Pharoah Kings" (almost 15 minutes): an Arab climate, Latin percussion and great soli on keyboards (Minimoog and Fender Rhodes electric piano), bass and guitar (supported by a dynamic rhythm-section and a duel with Chick Corea). If you want to discover the fusion/jazz rock music, this is a perfect album to start!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#29486) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Review by Chicapah
4 stars So you're impressed with the speed rush that you get from metal and you want to expand your prog horizons into some accelerated jazz rock-fusion but The Mahavishnu Orchestra was a little too "out there" for your taste. Well, don't despair for this is probably what you're looking for. Four of the best virtuosos ever working as one unit, creating well-crafted instrumental songs with definite melodies, comprehensible structures and lots of ear candy.

The album starts with bassist Stanley Clarke's fabulous "Vulcan Worlds." If I were to pick a single tune to introduce a neophyte to the genre, this would be it because it has everything that's great about jazz rock-fusion. Including a great build-up and climax. It sizzles. One of the distinguishing things about this particular record is that Chick Corea has interspersed some short, soothing piano interludes between cuts based on the title of the album. "Where have I Loved, Danced With and Known You Before," all give the proceedings the feeling that there is a strong spiritual concept behind it all. (The LP included a metaphysical poem by Neville Potter printed on the back of the cover.) Drummer extraordinaire Lenny White contributes his top-notch "The Shadow of Lo" that begins with a lone Rhodes piano before everyone drops into a nice, flowing feel underneath an infectious melody. Soon they take the tempo up a notch and delve into a great funky rhythm that will put a smile on your face before it's over. It's my favorite song on the album. Corea's "Beyond the Seventh Galaxy" is a spirited, rocking tune where the band "speaks" in brief musical sentences and it's like a virtual whirlwind of notes flying in formation around your head. Short but very sweet. "Earth Juice," composed by the band as a whole, features a rolling (dare I say disco?) beat that drives non-stop all the way through. You might be tempted to get up and show off a few dance moves on this one! "Song to the Pharaoh Kings" has a substantial "Egyptian" flavor instigated by the coy synthesizer melody that segues into a quick but not frantic pace. It's a showcase piece where everyone gets to shine, starting with White who literally flies over the drumheads followed by Clarke who demonstrates his unique approach to playing bass guitar. But this is more than just blatant showboating because it never gets predictable or tiring. The tune evolves into a new melody halfway through and Al DiMeola gets his moment in the sun with a fantastic guitar solo. Corea then takes over with the Rhodes piano and the synthesizer fiercely battling it out all the way to the dramatic end.

There are no fade-outs here. Every song has a clearly defined beginning and conclusion and that's very refreshing. While I realize that jazz rock-fusion is not for everybody, I feel that if most proggers do a little investigation they can enhance and widen their knowledge and awareness in this realm of music with rewarding results. I can think of no better place to start than with this group and this excellent album.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#111652) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 11, 2007

Review by Gatot
4 stars Time has gone so fast. I never imagined that this album was released in 1974 and in fact I had this album in 1983. For your information, since couple of weeks ago, I have played many prog collection from cassette version ranging from Led Zeppelin until Mahavishnu Orchestra. This morning just before I rode my bike for going to work, I played the cassette version of this album. To my surprise, the sound quality is still excellent and I'm impressed with the fact that this cassette was purchased in 1983 - it's been more than 20 years by now!

This album delivers a top notch jazz rock fusion music which comprises great works by legendary musicians: Chick Corea, Lenny White, Stanley Clarke, and Al Di Meola. each musician has their own uniqueness in terms of styles and sounds. Look at AL Di Meola. Yes, there has been many names for guitar musicians but ... the style and sounds of AL Di Meola has created his own identity and no one else can do the same or similar with his hand-picking style as well as sounds. Lenny White is a dazzling drummer with jaw-dropping styles which set a standard in jazz drumming style. I can only compare his style with Steve Gadd. Stanley Clarke's bass guitar playing is also very specific and unique. Who dares to challenge Chick Corea whom his fingers are capable of produncing tight notes at transition pieces with short period. The result is of course an excellent music.

"Shadow Of Lo" (7:34) demonstrates a good style of mellow music with blues influence at the opening part and moves forward into upbeat and a bit complex composition. I can feel how the pulsating keyboard sounds of Chick Corea is beautifully wrapped by fast speed guitar fills by Al Di Meola. Stanley Clarke does his best to perform tight bass lines and picking. Lenny White does not play his drums as gate keeper but he delivers dynamic shoots throughout the song which elevate the emotional impact to its listeners.

Other songs are excellent as well and I admit that this album, overall, is a well composed music and each member has achieved excellent appreciation from the music community. I still remember vividly that I knew the band from the "Music Magic" album and explored further into this album. It's recommended for those who appreciate jazz rock fusion. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#126781) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Review by Prog Leviathan
3 stars From the exciting (and VERY '70's sounding) opener to the dramatically composed closer Pharaoh Kings, Where Have I Known You Before is a creative, energetic showcase of great playing and songwriting. The four players deliver the goods instrumentally (as one might expect), with Corea's layered synthesizers giving the album a heavy sci-fi'ish '70's funk feel; listening to this album is like stepping into a time warp!

The songs feature a broad mix of sounds and moods, with an emphasis on the above mentioned, and as a whole are not as polished sounding as on Romantic Warrior, in part due to the production quality. There is also more of a frantic feel here, giving many of the tunes a heavy-handed tone, but not detracting from their quality. My second choice Return to Forever album, but still a winner in all regards, and one of the more enjoyable fusion albums in my library.

Songwriting: 3 Instrumental Performances: 4 Lyrics/Vocals: NA Style/Emotion/Replay: 3

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#156835) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 27, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Behind this absolutely ugly "pick-up in a disco" line used as a title, this is the first album with the classic line-up, since previously unknown guitarist Bill Connors gets replaced (I believe he left for a solo career, which to my knowledge never materialized) for young previously unknown Al, DiMeola, who would go on to become one of the greats of jazz guitars. Probably that you'll never be able to assemble such an incredibly virtuoso line-up at every musician spot, with maybe only Lenny's seat still improvable (Bruford or Cobham). So by the summer of 74, WHIKYB had been recorded and it would be another hit with the then-important JF/F crowds, the first one also forgetting the "bird theme" artwork. This album is the first (to my knowledge, anyway) where Chick Corea invests into synthesizers and his choice of synth sounds is sometimes debatable, but this issue will gradually increase some more with the next albums and widen to other JR/F KB players of the era, no doubt pushed by the new synths appearing on the market, although he (Chick) still relies on Fender Rhodes , Yamaha organ and clavinet as well..

Quickly glancing over the album's track list, you'll see that the title track is part of a series of three short Corea-penned piano-only interludes meant to separate more important works; What had been plainly obvious on HOTSG is now even more reinforced, especially in the opening Stanley Clarke- penned Vulcan Worlds: RTF is more of a jazz-funk group than a jazz-rock group. Indeed Clarke's bass playing features a now-famous technique, the slapping, invented/perfected by him and it would drive him to jazz superstardom. The White-penned Shadow Of Lo, is another funky track (more in the Herbie Hancock manner), but don't feature the excessive bass slaps, and while still cruising at 100 MPH, the track modulates more. Lenny White's drumming is close what Cobham could've played on this very track. Beyond The Seventh Galaxy is obviously a return to the previous outstanding album (no synths used) and is IMHO the best track of the album.

The flipside opens on the collectively-written Earth Juice is more in the Mahavishnu Orchestra style and matches easily as highlight the previous side's closing Beyond track. Most of you have been waiting for the 14-mins+ Song to the Pharoah King, a slow starter with Corea's synth (although here probably some of his better choices) slowly marching on ahead, but returning to his Fender Rhodes for the torrid splendid middle section and an incandescent finale.

While I wouldn't call this album (WHIKYB) essential, certainly not compared to the absolute masterpiece of 7th Galaxy or the crowd-adored Romantic Warrior, but it is still quite an enjoyable RTF and certainly dierves to be discovered soon. As a matter of fact, this writer not being a fan of Romantic Warrior (see that review),n this might just be the classic line=up's best album.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#169558) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 02, 2008

4 stars I've been listening to this album and "No Mystery" for the last week or so, and to say I have been impressed would be a huge understatement. I went back to my review of RETURN TO FOREVER's debut, and was surprised I rated it only 3 stars. So I broke it out for a listen today then it all came back to me. The debut is very much a mellow, Latin flavoured album with no lead guitar. It's still really good, but for my money the ones that follow it and "Light As A Feather" are much more appealing. I mean look at this lineup people ! Chick Corea, Lenny White, Al DiMeola and Stanley Clarke ! These four guys are near, or at the very top of their proffesions.

"Vulcan Worlds" sounds so good to open with those liquid keys, bass and drums. DiMeola comes and goes. Some in your face synths from Chick. Everything sounds so amazing here. Love the drumming especially. Corea takes the lead before 3 minutes. DiMeola shines 4 1/2 minutes in. Clarke's turn 5 minutes in. Fabulous guitar before 7 minutes. A calm with keys follows. Check out White to end it. "Where Have I Loved You Before" features Chick alone playing these beautiful melodies on his piano. "Shadow Of Lo" opens with such gorgeous piano melodies. Drums and bass join in around a minute. It's still pastoral as tasteful guitar joins in. It gets aggressive 3 1/2 minutes in. What a great sound ! A change 5 1/2 minutes in to a funky sound. "Where Have I Danced With You Before" is another short song with piano melodies only. It sounds so good though.

"Beyond The Seventh Galaxy" again another song that opens with those beautiful liquid piano notes. A full sound comes in quickly this time, as drums pound it out. This part reminds me of MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA. Killer drumming 2 minutes in.This song has a connection with their previous album called coincedently "Hymn Of The Seventh galaxy". "Earth Juice" has this catchy beat as DiMeola lights it up. This is one funky tune man. Infectious. "Where have I Known You Before" is made up of more piano melodies from Chick. "Song To The Pharoah" is the over 14 minute closer. It opens with synths that lead the way until a change before 3 minutes when it kicks into gear. Amazing sound 5 1/2 minutes in. The drumming is fantastic ! The bass from Clarke 6 1/2 minutes in has my full attention. The tempo and moods change until a nice jazzy melody 8 1/2 minutes in. Some great guitar joins in as bass throbs and drums pound. Check out the keys after 10 1/2 minutes as it calms down. This proggy song continues to unfold it's wonders right to the end.

A very solid 4 stars and a must for Fusion fans. This and "Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy" are my favourite RETURN TO FOREVER albums.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#182635) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Review by The Quiet One
5 stars Where have I heard this before?

Nowhere actually, this album is one of a kind for its time. Not sure why it has fewer ratings/reviews than Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, Romantic Warrior and even to their debut, but this album, nonetheless, is Return to Forever's peak compositonally speaking, while as musicians they would get more techincal on the famous, more prog-oriented, Romantic Warrior.

Where Have I Known You Before is the first album with guitar-maestro Al Di Meola, while still very young(19 years-old!) thus not showing his finest capabilities, that is his ground-breaking shredding style as he would do in Romantic Warrior, he still showcases great textures and solos to the band, something Bill Connors didn't manage that well with Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy. Besides that addition, Chick Corea adds to his keyboard-set the synthesizers (and clavinet) Return to Forever is well-known of, and in what a classy and professional way he manages to play them for the first time! The rhythm section was getting better with each album, that is Stanley with his funky and complex bass lines and Lenny with his energetic drumming.

The album starts-off with a typical fusion composition, 'Vulcan Words', that showcases unstoppable drumming and constant bass thrilling your ears plus the new additions of Corea's synth in a splendid melodic solo, then Al with a gratifying solo and finally Stanley with his solo.

The album continues with 'Where Have I Loved You Before', a jazz piece only meant for the one and only Chick Corea in his magical piano. Chick Corea demonstrates his most sincere and delightful piano touches, something that made him a well-recognised 'piano'(and jazz) player.

That lovely piece soon ends and what actually did was to make an excellent passage to the eternal love that 'The Shadow of Lo' always gives to me with it's inital keyboard palette of notes. However that emotion this song gives me lasts for the first half of the tune. The second half is a totally different story, it returns to the speedy fusion style of the opener with the fast paced synths and rhythm, every now and then adding some really funky substance where Meola adds a brilliant guitar solo.

The album returns to the solo piano section that 'Where Have I Loved You Before' presented, this time with 'Where Have I Danced With You Before' which presents a more robust feel compared to the former but still maintaining it's delightness, like many of Corea's solo piano pieces.

The pace of the album returns to its brisk jazzy form with 'Beyond the Seventh Galaxy', while definitely short in length compared to the two previous jazz fusion songs, this one is still capable of showing their abilities as musicians and composers. It's actually a remake of 'Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy', this time with synths, showing what that album would have sounded with that addition.

Continuing with the short fusion songs comes up 'Earth Juice', this one being the only one that can be considered rather repetitive and not on par to the rest of the songs, with it's constant simple drumming, Al and Chick add some few variations which are far from being either really exciting or creative, which in the end it doesn't keep the listener's attention for long. Fortunately it's short and doesn't damage much the album's flow.

Approaching to the end we got the last of Corea's solo piano tunes, 'Where Have I Known You Before', indeed the most beautiful and delicate of the three of them.

The final track is the Return to Forever epic entitled no less majestic than 'Song to the Pharoah Kings'. Opening in such a refined way with the synths and subtle organ, you really can't predict what comes next. After two minutes of elegance the track really starts to take shape, follows a semi-dissonant and chaotic passage, it then all evolves into an ingenious and polished track full of exciting and creative keyboards, a really pulverizing guitar solo in the middle, and all this within a stupendous rhythm.

Where Have I Known You Before is essentially Return to Forever's magnum opus in the creative and composition side. It features the perfect blend of the band's first two albums' latin classiness and subtlety with Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy's jazz rock powder. This is the album that Return to Forever should be known-of, it simply has it all what made Return to Forever one of the classic Jazz Fusion bands alongside Weather Report and Mahavishnu Orchestra back in the 70's.

Essential Jazz Rock album.

Send comments to The Quiet One (BETA) | Report this review (#244686) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Review by snobb
4 stars Classic RTF album with their best ever line-up and most representative sound.

I really love RTV debut (or, to be more correct - Chic Corea's solo album "Return To Forever", which is often counted as RTF debut) for excellent atmosphere of Latin jazz, Airto Moreiro percussion and Flora Purim voice. But, after one more album of similar (but not so original) music, RTF became a hot driven jazz-rock band. With quite different line-up and very different music. This album is second word of RTF MKII. And if their first previous album was radical change in style and almost revolution in sound, this one is more matured, better played and more technically competent work.

Even if Chick's keyboards sound is still very important component, newcomer guitarist Al Di Meola brings his extremely fast and energetic guitar there. Lenny White and Stanley Clarke both are excellent there, so you have very competent excellent work of almost all-stars team.

Compositions are enough different, musicians interplay is of a highest level. You will hardly find more technically excellent team. Absolute classic of style from mid 70-s.

(As personally for me, I would like to hear more soul in their sound there to be able to name this album excellent). But 4,5 ? for sure!

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#273286) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 21, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars With Al Di Meola added to the line up as a replacement for Bill Connors, the prog rocking side of RTF takes off for real now, though there isn't much difference with Hymn of the Sevent Galaxy, meaning we get virtuoso focused energy fusion with a funky backbone and nice dots of melody.

The sound got more polished then on previous albums, with a lighter drum sound and lots of synthetic keyboard sounds. The melodies sometimes lend a romantic Latin flavor, as can be witnessed on The Shadow of Lo but mostly this is highly dexterous action fusion with a central position for musicianship, sometimes overshadowing the compositions which I don't always find that memorable. Beyond the 7th Galaxy and Song to the Pharaoh Kings are the exceptions in the positive sense, especially that last one is a killer track ranking amongst my favorite RTF tracks.

Where Have I known You Before is a very strong album if you appreciate great musicianship. But despite all that, I keep having some reservation when it comes to this band, it's a question of taste I presume, but I much prefer the more emotionally charged fusion of Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock and early Weather Report. The closing track is phenomenal, but I miss some heart and soul in the remainder of the material.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#305563) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This was the first album by the most well known lineup of this, one of the greatest jazz/rock fusion bands of all time, and while it is a great album, they still hadn't quite found that classic sound. the performances are spectacular, but, for the most part, the compositions had not yet ventured into that fusion/symphonic prog blend that made "Romantic Warrior" such a masterpiece.

The fusion is great, but the standout track has to be beyond The Seventh Galaxy, an expansion, and improvement on the title track from the previous album.

My only real complaint about this album is the underuse of Al DiMeola. He seems almost non- existant at times.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#394203) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 04, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars Return to Forever sound more confident here than on the transitional Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, the band having adjusted to the shift in their sound and becoming more accomplished in their compositions. Al DiMeola joins on guitar this time around and his guitar contributions whilst comparatively low key are quite individual and help distinguish the band from being yet another Mahavishnu clone. Stanley Clarke's bass sound is both more prominent and more distinctive this time around, and Chick Corea himself has clearly been tinkering with the synthesisers, incorporating them into the band's sound with a deft touch. With funk influences being even more important than previously - Earth Juice shows this side of the band particularly well - Return To Forever once again find a distinctive fusion sound to call their own, distinct from that of their first two albums but not as generic as Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy. This establishes the groundwork for the final phase of their career nicely.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#526462) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 18, 2011

3 stars Where Have I Know You Before ? 1974 (3/5) 11 ? Best Song: Where Have I?anything?before. This is the point where I can start to see the style growing a tiny bit cold on me. It's a good style, hard-boiled and stable for what it is ? takes massive chops, but I can't say I'd love hundreds of al ... (read more)

Report this review (#440502) | Posted by Alitare | Friday, April 29, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The perfect line up,a young and still little known guitar player who's about to dazzle us with his first solo work (IN THE LAND OF THE MIDNIGHT SUN) a fantastic and innovative bass player who's gonna offer us a handfull of gripping albums, a precise drummer as fast as the light ( kind of COBHA ... (read more)

Report this review (#302309) | Posted by jean-marie | Tuesday, October 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars (I will be seeing RTF at the Denver Paramount Theater on June 3, 2008 and was compelled to review the three CDs featuring the classic lineup of Corea, Dimeola, Clark and White). Where Have I Known You Before was RTF's 1974 release and the first of the Corea, Di Meola, Clark & White lineup. Thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#165206) | Posted by wbiphoto | Thursday, March 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Simply one of the greatest jazz jusion albums ever, this is Return to Forever's greatest album in my opinion. Everthing about their music here is at it's best, the groove, the soloing, the melodies. This is the perfect mix of the floaty (RTF, Light As a Feather), the funky (Hymn of the Seventh Gal ... (read more)

Report this review (#150223) | Posted by King Crimson776 | Sunday, November 11, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars After Miles Davis, there were arguably three landmark jazz-rock fusion bands of the 1970s: Weather Report, the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Return To Forever II, all with Davis alumni. RTF I was a progressive Latin-jazz band with Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Joe Farrell, Airto Moreira and Flora Purim. ... (read more)

Report this review (#130735) | Posted by DocB | Sunday, July 29, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Where Have I Known You Before is the Chick Corea's master piece because of many factors: All the Album is arround fo a poem: Every song is inspaired for the text, the poem gives the name to the album. The compositions have many rythms and styles of epoque, very good arpoximations. But the mo ... (read more)

Report this review (#93409) | Posted by Javmore | Wednesday, October 04, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I had this record from a pile of vinyl that a friend of a good friend of mine, gave to me. I didn't know nothing about Chick Corea so, i put de vinyl aside and forgot about it. Many years pass and one day, another good friend of mine called me from his cell phone to tell me that he brough the mo ... (read more)

Report this review (#78542) | Posted by Fido73 | Wednesday, May 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars An ultimate fusion masterpiece, and even if we consider it a jazz-rock album, I belive it is generally more attractive for a prog rock fan than for a jazz consumer. I rate it five stars for great compositions (like Vulcan Worlds or Song To The Pharaoh Kings), for a tasteful, heavy and melodic sou ... (read more)

Report this review (#29487) | Posted by Mik the Prik | Thursday, May 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Jazz-Rock fusion album. Here performs a great band led by the virtuoso keyboardist Chick Corea (ex-member of Miles Davis band). People like Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White also count amongst the best jazz musicians. The record mostly consists of gorgeous jazz-rock tunes, divided by romant ... (read more)

Report this review (#29484) | Posted by | Monday, April 12, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RETURN TO FOREVER "Where Have I Known You Before"