Opeth - Still Life CD (album) cover

STILL LIFE

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

bartosso
5 stars Universally praised Still Life really deserves all its glory. Obviously, for me majority of Opeth albums is fantastic and unique, but well... I'm a fan. I love this band like a family member. Even when they release a bad album (Watershed) I still love them. But why so many people here on ProgArchives claim that this is the best album of this swedish band.

This site is about prog and Still Life is, without a doubt, the most classically progressive Opeth' album. There are diversity of influences, complex composition and a good production. Moreover, this one is less heavy than previous albums, thus more accesible. There are more clean vocals, often multi-layered, and melodic passages of acoustic guitars. Mikael Akerfeldt finally shows his fantastic singing skills. Soft smooth jazz vocals in turns with diabolic growls; powerful parts of distortion guitar in turns with acoustic guitars; pure soft beauty in turns with powerful rage with gothic feel about it - that's what is the essence of this record.

Flaws? There is not any! This is absolutely flawless release, no matter how absurdly it sounds. The fourth Opeth' album, along with My Arms, You Hearse, is one of the best metal and prog metal releases of all time.

10/10