Hawkwind - Canterbury Fayre 2001  CD (album) cover

Psychedelic/Space Rock

3 stars Hawkwind - Canterbury Fayre Live (2001)

Yet another high rated Hawkwind live album. This time I must admit that I was a bit dissapointed. As a power-trio the band sounded very tight and professional, but with this enlarged cast the band functions less good on stage. I must however admit that the sound is even more all-over-the-place and the band uses it's change to do things it couldn't do as a trio. For instance; A bass, a guitar, drums nd keys. Sometimes even the violin is added. On the song Silver Machine we even get to hear Arthur Brown on vocals, which is very nice. Some instrumental passages are brutal and heavy and there are lots of guitar solo's. The tracks presented are the known tracks from throughout their long career. A sort best of on stage.

Still the un-tight sound of this live album is problem for me. Already in the opening track the bass-amplification goes wrong and there are many unlogical guitarsolo's and bad transitional moments. Even the vocals dissapoint me at times. Perhaps it's just my liking, but I prefer the Love in Space and The Business Trip live albums. The idea behind this prestigious Hakwind album is very good, but the band wasn't ready for this recording in my opinion.

Conclusion. Heey.. ofcourse this is still a very good live album, but just not as good as some other Hawkwind live albums. Hence I will not give the four stars rating, but the thee star rating. Very recommend to fans and perhaps even to those who want to have a kind of best of Hakwind through the years.

friso | 3/5 |