Camel - Rain Dances CD (album) cover

Frankie Flowers
4 stars It was time for a slight change of direction for this band and I love how Camel developed thier sound here. "Rain Dance" is ever so relaxing and it mostly has a slight jazzy feel to it. Numbers like "One of These Day's I'll get an early night" and "Skylines" are particularly jazzy. It's more than worth listening to this album a few times to let it grow on you.

"Tell Me" and "Elke" are much dreamier tracks and very nice indeed. The flute parts are charming. "Highways Of The Sun" is the poppiest track but still very good. My favourite is"Unevensong" which is a fair bit more progressive. It has some interesting changes in it. And I love the ending "Rain Dances" which is a reprise of the opener "First Light".

All in all, this is a really wonderful album even if a little inconsistent in places. However, all the music is actually really very good. Moody, spacious, romantic, a thoroughly enjoyable listen.

A solid four stars.