Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect CD (album) cover

THE GREAT MISDIRECT

Between The Buried And Me

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

arcane-beautiful
4 stars After the mammoth that is Colours, Between The Buried & Me made another epic of an album. And does it match up?

It's not as good, but it's still pretty damn good. In fact, it's a step forward.

I believe that after the Progressive Nation tour, these guys really took a wide range of influences and really made another very special album. Again, its not for everyone, but on my first listen, I really did enjoy it.

With less songs but a lot more length, it really showed what these guys can do.

This is only the beginning and I can't wait to hear more from these guys.

1. Mirrors - An intro really. Starts off very dark and goes into King Crimson territory. The following instrumental section is very beautiful. 10/10

2. Obfuscation - Some nice changes and instrumental work. The guitar solo in the middle is pretty cool. Great build up in parts. Very melodic. 9/10

3. Disease, Injury, Madness - Perfect title. The Disease starts off very crazy and odd. The Injury is quite solemn and dark, while Madness is incredibly eclectic. 10/10

4. Fossil Genera - A Feed From Cloud Mountain - The intro is funny. The song is very frantic, odd and the story is enjoyable. Very diverse as well. The ending is incredibly epic and beautiful. 10/10

5. Desert Of Song - Great vocals. Beautiful composition. 10/10

6. Swim To The Moon - Frantic and quite hardcore at times. The instrumental sections are the real highlights. I love the Zappa like intro. 9/10

CONCLUSION: I wouldn't say it's worse than Colours. In may ways their equal, it's just Colours is slightly more stronger. Still a great album though.

arcane-beautiful | 4/5 |