Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane CD (album) cover

REMEDY LANE

Pain Of Salvation

Flucktrot
3 stars Remedy Lane is missing something that The Perfect Element has...now if I could just figure out what that is!

Despite racking my brain to figure out exactly why, I still cannot pinpoint why I feel that Remedy Lane is a slightly lesser album than its predecessor. In many ways, they are similar pieces, as they are both very well-produced, with plenty of heavy, gloomy atmospheres, boatloads of masculine harmonies, and a welcome dose of creativity and envelope-pushing.

Unlike The Perfect Element, with personal favorites such as Idioglossia, King of Loss and In the Flesh, I can't point to any song on Remedy Lane that really sticks out to my ears. Sure, I enjoy the impassioned poetry of Ending Theme, the restrained beauty of Dryad (with even a melodic reference back to Ashes), and the quite tricky rhythms of Fandango and Rope Ends, but nothing specifically pulls me back to this album.

In other words, I don't entirely trust my gut regarding this album in recommending Remedy Lane to others. All I can surely say is that many of the enjoyable Pain of Salvation elements are present, Remedy Lane has never captivated my ears as has The Perfect Element.

Flucktrot | 3/5 |