Saga - Generation 13 CD (album) cover

GENERATION 13

Saga

Tarcisio Moura
3 stars One of the hardest ever albums to rate, I must say before I start this review. I´m a big fan of Saga and I always knew they had the capacity of producing a pure progressive work any time. In fact, they had a lot of progressive stuff in just about every one of their long discographt. So I was quite eager to hear this concept CD, specially after my good friend Progrules raved about it. However, he too adviced me that this was not a record that everyone liked. It was for special tastes. And I found out he was right.

My main grip with this album is the lack something Saga´s CDs always had plenty of: good melodies and strong hooks. it seems that Michael Sadler & co took themselves way too seriously this time: the concept is dark and pessimist. And the music is so tightly attached to the lyrics it serves as a merely background to the words most of the time. it´s alright, if you like the plot and you´re reading the story. But none of the tracks has a life on its own when you listen to the album for the music alone. None stands out. And that´s the big flaw on Generation 13. Some bands managed to deliver a dark and gloomy story and still write great tunes (think of Pink Floyd´s The Wall for example. You can easily enjoy several tracks on it without knowing what´s all about).

While I can´t say the music here is bad, this is nowhere near what those guys are capable of when they are inspired. Also I found the main character´s processed voice too cartoonish for my taste. it really didn´t work within the concept. Still, some of the instrumental parts are good. And the story is well developed.

For such ´song´ oriented band, Generation 13 is a bit too rough. Not a good starting point for a newbie, that´s for sure. Ok, they proved they can be totally progressive when they wanted to. Not that the word progressive means it is excellent automatically. That´s why I´m giving it 3 stars: good, but not essential in any way.

Tarcisio Moura | 3/5 |