Tangerine Dream - Sorcerer CD (album) cover

SORCERER

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

pedgcurtis
4 stars My sister and I bought this soundtrack album before we even had the opportunity to see SORCERER (which did not have a long run at the theaters since the title and the Director (William Friedkin - THE EXORCIST) led people to mistakenly expect it was a horror movie) because the snippet of "Betrayal," used in the trailer, was so compelling. All the Tangerine Dream recordings I've bought since then, have been purchased because I liked this soundtrack so much.

For the record, this is not the soundtrack for a horror movie; SORCERER is a remake of a French adventure movie, WAGES OF FEAR...not intended to sound scary, but tense and bleak, and I think it succeeds. Mind, you, it's not particularly pleasant! On the other hand, I love the "Betrayal" track, and only wish it had been played in its entirety, in the movie itself.

It is to be wished that the producers had insisted on a less-misleading title for the movie; not only would Friedkin's career have been more illustrious (it was his first "bomb" after several hits, which is a shame because it's quite watchable) but Tangerine Dream would have widened their audience in America substantially.

| 4/5 |