Faust - Live in Edinburgh CD (album) cover

3 stars For your interest: I was lucky enough to see this gig, and there must have been a good mix of excitable neophytes (me) to converts in the audience.

What I got ( I don't have the recording, so this is strictly my recollection, chaps) was a pummelling but strictly controlled hypnotisch neo-industrial drum work-out. This was decorated by nifty Can-like ornamental snake guitar from a spindly-looking player stage right. Fireworks (red flares) were held aloft by the main man at various points which completely filled the room with thick and nongood smoke in a 'we're going to surely burn to death in this low ceilinged room' way and led to some early departures by the more timid, that is, if they weren't enjoying the music anyway. Halfway through the set a female masseuse came and attended to the neck and shoulders of the hardworking vocalist/pummeler while the band played on. Now that's dedication.

| 3/5 |