Jethro Tull - Stand Up CD (album) cover

STAND UP

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

Frankie Flowers
4 stars This is a classic album. It was a 1969 release and doesn't sound quite as dated compared to the previous "This Was". I am very fond indeed of early Jethro Tull especially after the arrival of this album, the first to feature new guitarist Martin Barre.

Although this is a lot more of a folky album with tracks like "Jeffrey Goes To Leicester Square" and "Fat Man", we have a more developed blues rock style with "A New Day Yesterday". Just like with the band's debut, there's quite a mixture, including some jazz elements. All the styles somehow seem to be knitted together and as I mentioned, the results = absolute classic!

Personal favourites include "Bouree", the beautiful "Look Into The Sun", "Reasons For Waiting" and "For A Thousand Mothers". In fact all the songs are great. It was a difficult album to rate and I almost went for 5 big smackers but the reason I didn't is because I believe some of the following Tull albums to be even better! 4.5 stars.

Frankie Flowers | 4/5 |