Nightwish - Once CD (album) cover

2 stars I just don't like this kind of music, nor I do find those prog elements (the long tracks and orchestrations don't make it prog!) everyone else seems to hear, but I shall put that aside now. This has cheesy power metal written all over it. I do enjoy many power metal bands, for example Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody etc. They combine that a bit humorous power metal sound with their virtuoso playing, and succeed at it. Nightwish's problem is that their music just isn't interesting! Sure; the singer Tarja Turunen is great, there's no point denying that, she has a wonderful voice and that classical training she's taken really shows. Nothing wrong with the musicianship either, it's not that. All the guys are professionals at what they do, except composing. **
| 2/5 |