Traffic - Welcome to the Canteen CD (album) cover

4 stars Traffic is on progarchives! at last... (this must be something that people like me had been longing for, I even read a review on one of caravan's albums such as "this sounds very much like traffic, so why is this one here and traffic is not?" .Though it is not proper to criticise Caravan's progness (after all, it is the definitive canterbury band!), Traffic really desrved a place here... I've been searching every now and then...

Coming back to the album, I chose this one as a start, because this is the first Traffic album I ever listened to (and ironically, it is not actually credited to Traffic!)

But even better than most of their studio albums. this one has two numbers from winwood's (and if I'm not wrong) mason's earlier (or solo) works. For new starters, I think this album will be a good place to start. The sound is really a mixture of jazz, rock and african elements, and sometimes reminds me of Santana... Long jams in mr. Fantasy (much better here than the studio version) and Gimme some loving just kill me. The only problem with this album is that it is too short... (nevertheless, I got it on an mp3 disc, so I don't bother!!!)

Sometimes live albums are considered as "definitive" works which summon up a groups works, but this is not true with traffic. (the other live album is also short and has a few songs like this one). but it gives new tastes. and it's a good place to starti as I mentioned above...

Highly recommended...