Vangelis - Invisible Connections CD (album) cover

4 stars While not a completely successful attempt to produce an album of Electroacoustic or Acousmatic music, this is certainly light years ahead of "Beaubourg", which suffered from a very monochromatic soundworld. As far as I can tell, this is the only Deutsche Grammophon label album ever released by a "non-Classical" artist. The only thing that this album has in common with Progressive Rock is the fact that synthesizers and percussion instruments are being used to create the music. Call it free-form or avant-garde if you like. I like the fact that there is a lot of studio trickery (reverb, panning, etc.) used here, and to great effect.

When I started listening to Progressive Rock at its inception, I also listened to a lot of experimental electronic music (Stockhausen, Varese, Carlos, Subotnick, etc.). I always thought that most Prog fans, being more open-minded and intelligent than the average listener, would appreciate well-done experimental stuff. However, some of my friends from the 70's have become musically conservative. When I play some modern Electroacoustic stuff like Robert Normandeau (who did one piece sampled from bits of Prog classics) or Gilles Gobeil, they invariably say "That's just too weird!" Which, of course, is what most people think the first time they hear Progressive Rock!!!!

Anyway, there are a few used copies of this album floating around. If you're feeling musically adventurous, you could do a lot worse than giving this a try.

soundsweird | 4/5 |