Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear CD (album) cover

SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR

Marillion

Frankie Flowers
4 stars A classic debut album marking the beginning of neo-prog. Marillion became known for providing progressive music for the 80's while most other bands were sounding commercial.

There isn't really much I can say that hasn't already been said on this site apart from my opinions on it's sound. I don't think it's the best by the band but it's certainly great. Many other prog fans mention the similarities to Gabriel and Genesis. The influence is definitely there but Marillion's talent shines through and they have some of thier own distinctions. Singer Fish's voice is very rich, and perhaps more theatrical and emotional than Gabriel's. The songwriting is poetic and creative and the musicianship wonderful. I particularly like the keyboard work throughout the album.

I like "Garden Party" the best, as well as " Chelsea Monday" but all the music is great here, very dark and melancholic. I do think it's slightly dated, but that's not a big problem as a lot of music I like is also dated in many ways! It would be a really worthy part of any prog rock music collection. 4 solid stars.

Frankie Flowers | 4/5 |