Marillion - The Best of Both Worlds (2 cd boxset) CD (album) cover

THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS (2 CD BOXSET)

Marillion

KeepItDark
3 stars If you have not heard any Marillion then this CD is a great introduction to the two Marillion eras.

SIde One covers the Fish era with tracks selected from the first four studio albums. These are all great and I am sure new listeners will go back and explore these albums in further detail.

Side Two covers the Hogarth era but only his first three studio albums. Hogarth's voice is different to Fish and there are plenty of arguments of which era is better.

To me, Fish era Marillion covers similar ground explored by Gabriel Genesis and therefore lacks some originality. Hogarth's voice is a bit grating but he does add to the instrumentation. Overall I can't decide between the two and enjoy both worlds.

The Hogarth era (Side Two) also has a great song selection and after listening to "The Space" or "Afraid of Sunlight", I am sure the listener will go back for more.

This is 4 star material taken from 4 star albums. If you need an introduction then get this as a starter.

3.5 stars.

Those new to Marillion can also download a sampler album from their web page.

KeepItDark | 3/5 |