Queen - The Cosmos Rocks (with Paul Rodgers) CD (album) cover

THE COSMOS ROCKS (WITH PAUL RODGERS)

Queen

JeanFrame
2 stars A lot of this is unfair on Paul Rogers, and has much to do with the disappointment of him not being Freddie. There's no doubt in my mind that Paul is the more talented singer by a long way (though Freddie had a great voice and style, that's not the same thing as being a great vocalist per se). I was very interested to see what the combination of Paul and Queen would produce, I thought of it as an unusual combination, like a Mars bar with ice cream.

I never liked Free or Bad Company, they seemed too simplistic and corny to me, but I always thought that Paul Rogers was an exceptional singer, and saw that as the reason his two bands were successful. So I was intrigued to check out the results of the new collaboration. I have to say categorically that it just doesn't work. I think the legacy of Queen is too difficult for anyone to transcend and should be left there. Paul should not be stigmatised, he's still a great vocalist, but this was a mismatch, anyone but Freddie would be. Queen should pack it in and never be seen again, let the legacy live, not the band.

JeanFrame | 2/5 |