Genesis - Foxtrot CD (album) cover

Frankie Flowers
5 stars I am pleased to contribute my high rating to this amazing album. It is definitely a masterwork although I must admit it took me a very long time to like it as much as I do now.

It is very much like its predecessor "Nursery Cryme" in sound, although I'd agree that the songwriting, musicianship and production is better. "Watcher Of The Skies" is a fantastic start. I've always particularly loved the mellotron intro and the way it dramatically returns near the end of the song. Rutherford's bass seems to be more prominent than before. "Time Table" is very touching, and "Get 'Em Out By Friday" top notch stuff. I can't find faults anywhere.

The only track that I found hard to digest for such a long time was "Supper's Ready" but I always liked it. There are many different parts to the piece so repeated listens are required. Now, I would sincerely say it is without doubt a magical, mesmerizing work that holds an important place in musical history. In all, Foxtrot is one of those records that grows on you. Like a fine wine gets better with time. It's definitely not overrated! Five smacking stars for sure.

Frankie Flowers | 5/5 |