Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear CD (album) cover

STRATOSFEAR

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

Lieven Van Paemel
4 stars After the much heavier "Ricochet" I didn't really know what to expect. I very much love "Alpha Centauri", "Atem", "Phaedra" and "Rubycon" because of the impressive atmosphere they have. You see, hear and feel the band evolve.

After 36 years I still feel like this though I got to love this one nearly as much as the former. The title track "Stratosfear" is a rythmic piece of music with great themes. "The Big Sleep in search of Hades" is the track I have always liked best on this album. The real downside here is that side 1 really is very short.

"3 am at the border of the marsh from Okefenokee" first had me a bit puzzled with that harmonica (Harmonica on a TD album?????) but I now really enjoy the track. "Invisible Limits" always has been the track I loved less. The intro used to be on Flemish TV during the Lottery. I like it far better now, especially the spacey middle part. Still don't like the end with that pathetic piano... Overall not a bad album. Alas, after "Encore" things would change dramatically with TD... not for the better.

Lieven Van Paemel | 4/5 |