Flamborough Head - One for the Crow CD (album) cover

ONE FOR THE CROW

Flamborough Head

Mellotron Storm
2 stars Big changes for this one as two important members have left including the vocalist / keyboardist and the the guitarist. Enter a female vocalist who also playes flute / tin whistles and recorders.That alone constitutes a major change in sound right there. And for my taste this is definitely not for the better.There's also a lot of strings or orchestration which i'm guessing is sampled.

"One For The Crow" opens with the sound of a crow then the atmosphere and strings take over. It gets fairly heavy 1 1/2 minutes in then the vocals arrive after 2 minutes. She has a good voice i'm just not a fan of it. More strings as it settles.Vocals stop before 6 minutes as we get an instrumental break. She's back after 9 1/2 minutes. "Old Shoes" opens with synths and strings which gives us a classical feel that I don't like.Guitar, drums then piano come in. Vocals before 2 minutes.Tasteful guitar 4 minutes in when the vocals stop. It's heavier around 6 minutes. Strings come in. A calm a minute later with piano then the vocals return.The tempo continues to shft. "Seperate" is a short acoustic guitar piece with flute.

"Daydream" opens with acoustic guitar and strings? followed by flute then guitar 1 1/2 minutes in.There's a FLOYD flavour here then the flute returns. Piano only before 3 minutes then the acoustic guitar and drums are back. "Nightlife" opens with samples then it kicks in powerfully.Vocals 2 minutes in. A calm with piano and flute 4 minutes in. Strings too.It does pick up some late. "Old Forest" is a short track with acoustic guitar leading. "Limestonerock" opens with nature sounds then synths and a full sound follows.Guitar replaces the synths before a minute. It calms down with flute and vocals before picking back up. Another calm with atmosphere after 4 minutes. Flute joins in then drums and guitar before 6 minutes.Vocals are back 8 1/2 minutes. Nature sounds end it. "New Shoes" is a short piece that is led by the acoustic guitar.

There are so many things that have changed for the worse in my opinion. I am surprised at how high this is rated here, but hey we all have different tastes. Fans only for this one.

Mellotron Storm | 2/5 |