Deep Purple - Stormbringer CD (album) cover

STORMBRINGER

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

Time Signature
3 stars I don't think that metalheads will find this album interesting at all, but those who are more interested in rock in general, and perhaps progheads who are more openminded. Well, the opening track "Stormbringer" is a might hard rocker, which reminds me more of Rainbow, Blackmore's band after he left Purple, and the same also goes for "Lady Double Dealer"; "High Ball Shooter" is also an uptempo rock, while "Gypsy" is a bit heavier, without being metallish. The rest of the tracks on the album are, to varying extents, influenced by funk music.

I am not sure whether your average stereotypical proghead approves of funk music, but I think that, as a funk rock record, "Stormbringer" works well, and, by breaking down the boundaries between the genres of rock and funk, Deep Purple engage in one of the activities that supposedly characterizes progressive music - namely, genre transgression.

Time Signature | 3/5 |