Genesis - Trespass CD (album) cover

TRESPASS

Genesis

Ozymandias
4 stars No doubt this album, Trespass, will be different to its predecessor by merely looking at the cover art and the fact that it only lists 6 tracks of substantial length, very much unlike the debut Genesis release: 'From Genesis to Revelation'

So what's changed? The band members were the same except for John Mayhew who took the drummer's chair... The music composition changed, the melodies and harmonies, NO sting and brass sections!!!

For me most Prog albums need to be listened to over and over to absorb all the different emotions, the highs and lows, the brilliant and then those not-so-brilliant moments all captured into a single piece of music. I take it that if you were an avid music listener in 1969 when the Genesis debut was released, you'd be totally blown away by Trespass, as it features such a vast array of different musical landscapes. Something they might've tried with their debut but not quite captured?

The opener: Looking for Someone, takes you on a musical journey unlike anything you've heard from Genesis before. White Mountain follows along similar lines and equally as good as Track 1.

Vision of Angels takes the music to a slightly slower level. Maybe not as nice a song as tracks 1 & 2. Then comes Stagnation and Dusk, both these on the same slow musical mood before the epic THE KNIFE just blows you away. By far the best Genesis song thus far (note that this is only their second album).

Overall a reasonable album with 3 good songs out of 6. As I rated their debut at 2 stars, this is a much improved effort and I award 3 stars, however as I can not rate half-stars here, I feel this album is good enough for a 4 star rating.

Like I've said before, there are many people with great knowledge when it comes to music. These people can give you vast amounts of information pertaining to a specific band, artist, album, etc. Most of which can be read from member reviews and forums. For me it's about the music and whether I like it or not. My reviews are based on what a particular album has to offer and comparisons drawn from previous albums should there be any.

Ozymandias | 4/5 |