Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy CD (album) cover

HOUSES OF THE HOLY

Led Zeppelin

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars I was never a big Led Zeppelin fan. Oh, fine, being a teenager in the 70s I was quite aware of their big success and already large influence. In fact, I liked LZ. But not much. I guess you could call me a casual fan. I much rather hear Deep Purple or Uriah Heep at the time. But some songs I did appreciate, fo course. I actually never owned one of their albums. hHuses of The Holy, however, was the one I liked better when I found out about them. A friend lent me a copy and I remember I recorded it in a cassette that I had for a long time.

Only recently I had the chance to hear this record again and I can say it is still my fave Zeppelin album. That might sound strange for most fans of the group, since this is one of the less charactheristic sounding LPs they did. And this is quite the reason I enjoyed so much: its one of their most progressive and the one where John Paul Jones really blossomed on the keyboards. There are some great unsual songs like The Rain Song (one of their most beautiful tunes ever), No Quarter and Over The Hills And Far Away. Dancing Days which had a great guitar riff and the funny Dyer Maker were always favorites of mine when I was 15.

I had a lot of respect for LZ and I guess Ill have to hear all their records again to see if I did miss something or if they were indeed not my cup of tea. But for this one I must give a fair rating, since I still find it quite atractive after all these years. Four stars.

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |