Camel - The Opening Farewell - Live At The Catalyst (DVD) CD (album) cover

THE OPENING FAREWELL - LIVE AT THE CATALYST (DVD)

Camel

Thandrus
5 stars I'm still being under the influence of my freshest impressions, but I think it's a fantastic DVD. Maybe pretender for the first-place pretender in Camel's videography.

Won't go to track-by-track discussions, but I can assure you there is no weak note played in this concert. However, :I think some songs deserve the special mention: Lady Fantasy - from what I've heard, Camel rarely, if ever, started concert with this song, letting it be closer, rather than opener. I think the opening role suits this song optimally, it being both energetic and very beautiful. Hymn To Her - great version here, even the jazzy part, which, on the studio album wasn't to everybody's taste, is executed with mastery, elevating the song to the top Camel level. Stationary Traveller - every time I hear it, on every Camel DVD, it leaves me wordless; same happened here, it's unbelievably beautiful Same concerns to Ice, which I regard as Stationary Traveller's older brother. The show ends with For Today, which really gives it all the emotional climax.

There's a bit more to enjoy here other than music: most notably, Andy's and Colin's quirky jokes. It's a miracle that Andy, being, as many know, not in the best physical conditions, could maintain such a high spirit and grant us alot of his humour.

To put it short, this DVD deserves my highest recommendations; you're going to have a marvelous experience!

Thandrus | 5/5 |