Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood CD (album) cover

SONGS FROM THE WOOD

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

friso
3 stars Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood (1977)

In '77 Jehtro Tull returned to their folky formula, making perhaps their most 'traditional' folk album. Though many see this album as a return to form, I still myself still think it sounds way to flat and indifferent. All the instruments are played very well, but somehow the music doesn't live at all; despite of progressive song-writing with many intelligent rhythm changes and chord- changes.

The cover artwork on the back of the vinyl is good; the base of a tree with a pick-up needle and arm on it.

The opening track 'Songs from the Wood' has some good melodies, but doesn't sound as a whole. Jehtro tull should stick more to atmospheres here. The classc 'Jack in the Green' is a good solo performance of Anderson with his nice voice and acoustic guitar. Good song. The other tracks of the album just don't stick by me.

Conclusion. Perhaps I just don't like the sound of Jehtro too much and this album does seem to have intelligent composition and song-writing, but I miss out on a lot of soul here. I can only recommend this to fans of the folk genre. Two and a halve stars.

friso | 3/5 |