Jethro Tull - Stormwatch CD (album) cover

STORMWATCH

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

Lieven Van Paemel
4 stars Everybody seems to prefer the first one of the so called "folk trilogy", namely "Songs from the wood". Not bad an album indeed. Personally I loved "Heavy Horses" far better. Quite a lot of people seem to find that "Stormwatch" is a bit of a let down... I don't agree.

"North Sea Oil" is a great opener with a clear message. "Orion" and "Home" are a bit weaker tracks but still not bad at all. "Dark Ages" is Tull in form. "Warm Sporran" is one of the finest instrumental tracks ever (I still have a soft spot for bagpipes from my folky days long gone).

Side 2 is truly great. "Something's on the move" starts off well, "Old Ghosts" is a very fine song indeed. "Dun Ringill" is one of my all time best loved Tull acoustics... I was happy enough to hear it live in the early 80s. "Flying Dutchman" is another phenomenal track. Whenever I play the LP (yes, LP... as from the dark ages) and this track starts I get that feeling of... Well, not being able to find the words.. still...

"Elegy" could have been a "Focus" by Focus... A bittersweet tune with Martin playing the guitar in a grand way...

I could easily give this one a five stars... let's say a four and a half!

Lieven Van Paemel | 4/5 |