Alan Parsons Project - The Best of Alan Parsons Project CD (album) cover

THE BEST OF ALAN PARSONS PROJECT

Alan Parsons Project

zravkapt
Post/Math Rock Team
2 stars This was the first thing I ever got from the Alan Parsons Project, mainly for the song "Eye In The Sky". Later on I got the first two albums, which I like. Apart from a song here and there, I don't really care much for their later albums. APP was formed by Mr. Parsons after his successful engineering work on Abbey Road and DSOTM. APP, along with Steely Dan and Supertramp, made some of the best sounding albums of the 1970s.

This is more of a 'greatest hits' than a 'best of'. Mostly focused on singles and more commercial album tracks. The good instrumental "Lucifer" is included however. I still think that both "I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You" and "Time" are really great songs. Nothing very proggy on this compilation; the first album was the most proggy, with each album getting less and less so. The singles here are the radio versions, meaning that, for example "Eye In The Sky" is not segued into by the instrumental "Sirius".

Although I never owned it, The Definitive Collection would be a better purchase, based on the tracklist. You get some good album tracks along with the instrumentals that lead up to some of the more popular songs. If you want to hear APP at their most prog sounding, get Tales Of Mystery And Imagination and listen to it on headphones. This I will give 2 stars.

zravkapt | 2/5 |