Masahiko Satoh And The Soundbreakers - Amalgamation (Kokotsu No Showa Genroku) CD (album) cover

AMALGAMATION (KOKOTSU NO SHOWA GENROKU)

Masahiko Satoh And The Soundbreakers

RIO/Avant-Prog

Dobermensch
2 stars There's nothing I like better than the sound of gunfire and missiles in music - and thats how this one kicks off!

Unfortunately these great sound effects have clearly been laid down after an original jam that lasts the whole 37 minute duration. And unless my ears deceive me there's some 'not allowed anymore' Hitler speeches in there too.

The machine guns and cannons keep grabbing my attention, but in all honesty this is all over the place sounding like it's being played by Dr Teeth's band in the 'Muppet Show'.

A directionless get-together where sound effects can't cover up the defects which are all too plain to see. Things admittedly pick up with some of the string sections that appear after 12 minutes but then we're thrown back into that psychedelic swirling organ noise, complete with screaming guitars and wayward drums thing again.

Side two sacks all the sound effects but is none the better for it. What we have now are wailing 'John Zorn' saxophones and loads of random drumming. It may appear that I'm in a bad mood having given three, very low ratings in a row, but gimmie a break - you try listening to this tosh!

Grrrr...