AMALGAMATION (KOKOTSU NO SHOWA GENROKU)

Masahiko Satoh And The Soundbreakers

RIO/Avant-Prog

Masahiko Satoh And The Soundbreakers Amalgamation (Kokotsu No Showa Genroku) album cover

Buy MASAHIKO SATOH AND THE SOUNDBREAKERS Music
Studio Album, released in 1971

1. Amalgamation Part 1 (15:50)
2. Amalgamation Part 2 (21:18)

Search MASAHIKO SATOH AND THE SOUNDBREAKERS Amalgamation (Kokotsu No Showa Genroku) lyrics

Search MASAHIKO SATOH AND THE SOUNDBREAKERS Amalgamation (Kokotsu No Showa Genroku) tabs

- Masahiko Satoh / keyboards, organ, percussion
- Mototeru Takagi / tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, bass clarinet
- Masaoki Terakawa / bass
- Louis Hayes / drums
- Yoshisaburoh Toyozumi / percussion
- Hideakira Sakurai / percussion, voices
- Kayoko Itoh / voices (Track 2)
- Kimio Mizutani / guitar (Track 1)
- Hiro Yanagida / organ (Track 1)
- Masaoki Terakawa / bass (Track 1)

LP Liberty/Toshiba LTP9018 (1971)
CD P-Vine Records PCD1461 (1998)
CD Drone Syndicate DS07 (2009)

MASAHIKO SATOH AND THE SOUNDBREAKERS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MASAHIKO SATOH AND THE SOUNDBREAKERS Amalgamation (Kokotsu No Showa Genroku) Music

More places to buy MASAHIKO SATOH AND THE SOUNDBREAKERS music online Buy MASAHIKO SATOH AND THE SOUNDBREAKERS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MASAHIKO SATOH AND THE SOUNDBREAKERS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MASAHIKO SATOH AND THE SOUNDBREAKERS Amalgamation (Kokotsu No Showa Genroku) ratings distribution

MASAHIKO SATOH AND THE SOUNDBREAKERS Amalgamation (Kokotsu No Showa Genroku) reviews

Review by DamoXt7942
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Moderator / Psych Team
5 stars First of all, please let me say thanks to Greg (Logan), the suggester of MASAHIKO SATOH & THE SOUNDBREAKERS.

Everyone says that Masahiko SATOH the frontman of The SOUNDBREAKERS has been very enthusiastic for "freely improvised music", and his career tells this fact, his attitude for music. 1971 in Japan reminds me lots of three-minute pop (kayo-kyoku), folk, traditional pop ('enka' in Japanese) ones, but Masahiko, who released such a long improvised suite in those days, can be called as a terrifically eccentric epochmaking creator methinks. Listen to this "Amalgamation" album and you can realize he could keep straightly and seriously his music theory, "freely improvised" one. Magnificent and cynical soundscape is here ... from the beginning, featuring Shigenobu Okuma and Adolf Hitler's narration recorded previously, deep & heavy bass sounds (by Masaoki TERAKAWA), sharp guitar knife-edges (by Kimio MIZUTANI), and especially Hiro YAMAGATA's loud and swift keyboard storm ... absolutely suitable for being able to call as a progressive project. Of course, we cannot avoid feeling Wehnne Strings Consort's brilliant violin solo in the middle of Amalgamation Part 1 (LP Side A).

This sound structure of Part 1 is exactly similar to Krautrock, like Ash Ra Tempel (check their song "Amboss" in the eponymous album). However, I do consider, Masahiko's Amalgamation should have the different basis from Ash Ra Tempel ... both albums were released simultaneously (1971), and both of them could include the similar soundscape to each other. So to speak, Masahiko and Ash Ra Tempel both could open their native progressive rock scene I imagine?

Part 2 (LP Side B) is more tribal and more unpolished, ground-smelled. Japanese traditional percussive carnival tune with primeval shouts 'Soiya-soiya' can kick you into a Japan local festa. Kayoko ISHU's female scat in some middle parts are sometimes comfortable and sometimes painful ... Mototeru TAKAGI's saxophone solo can undoubtedly throw you into madness. Until the last passionate fruitful shouts into trance we cannot close our eyes, hold our ears down, and breathe enough. Perfectly the Japanese Avant dawn, they should be.

Send comments to DamoXt7942 (BETA) | Report this review (#318292) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 13, 2010

Review by snobb
5 stars Masahiko Satoh isn't well-known (or just forgotten?) to avant-jazz fans,and it's a shame! After his graduation in Berklee School of Music from 1966 to 1968,he returned to Japan and became one of most active experimentalist on Japanese avant/jazz scene.

Only during 1969-1971 he recorded 21 (!) album as solo artist or project leader. His The Soundbreakers are one-shot project,but what a great release it is! Album contains just two compositions,quite different between each other.

Side A is excellent (really excellent!) collage of psychedelic jazz rock, kraut, neo-classical avant-garde,waltz and movies soundtracks all in one. But there is no chaos at all, all components are absolutely organically added to quite relaxed and groovy psychedelic jazz rock basis. All 15 minutes of the music of this composition run fast and the listener feels as he's watching extremely interesting action movie! Musicianship and composition are both of highest class,and as for year 1971 it sounds as one of real cornerstone of Japanese avant! Fantastic bass-line presented besides of Masahiko's keyboards - I really love that sound!

Side B is longer and contains different music - it's mostly a free-jazz this time. Psychedelic and very experimental for its time, this composition possibly doesn't sound so catchy as first one, but is a great illustration of a bit different side of Soundbreakers project's music.

In all,this album is a real gem and must have addition for any serious fan of Japanese avant prog (as well extremely interesting release for everyone interested in experimental psychedelic jazz fusion of early 70-s). Highly recommended!

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#339522) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
3 stars A thousand ideas in two tracks

A strange beast this one. Sporting the odd missile launches, Hitler speeches, gunfire, manic fusion without direction and a thousand different ideas all happening at once - Amalgamation is truly the essence of its name.

I came into this album by way of Japanese organist Hiro Yanagida who has played with a lot of big names from all over Japan - including Milk Time. Once I sunk my teeth into this mildly bizarre musical venture, it suddenly dawned on me, that he only features on the first cut. The fact that he sounds unlike anything I've heard him on before also contributed to my initial disappointment, but as you all know, sometimes these progressive records have a way of sneaking up on you like some stealthy sonic ninja.

Imagine 4 or 5 different musical motifs all fighting for the spotlight during some 15 minutes. Take a dash of explosive and wild Hammond organ fire - jettisoning itself into the unknown with all kinds of bubbly and unnecessary flourishes. Then add feminine 18th century violin segments with a mouth full of honey. Blasting fusionéros drumming with the additional swooping bass lines to go with it. Somewhere in between all of this musical mayhem, you get treated to some rather tinny sounding guitar meanderings, that for some reason work like a charm. TADAHH!! That was the first side...

Then you have the whistling black smith that starts off the second piece - only to be drowned out by an insane overwrought saxophone coming from a place of pain and suffering. Bonzo big band circus drums - and an altogether bizarre atmosphere fills the air. Beautiful ethereal chu chu train vocals steaming up in the music - accompanied by a decisively more warm and welcoming aura - now greeting the shimmering organs that fight for the right to steer the tune together with the free-jazz drumming and the mad saxophone - that by now sounds like a tortured songbird strapped to a flaming hot barbecue.

I know what most of you people must be thinking by now: Man oh man - where can I get this album, because I am soooo into tortured birds!!! Well then my friend hang on a minute, because sadly the misery of the cuckoo is, just like the rest of this album's madness, funnelled into something approachable and earthy. Whether we're talking early fusion grooves - or slow organ lead lullabies, somehow you always end up in musical territories with a wholesome foundation of rhythms that groove and female vocals that sensuously melt the butter on your eyelids(Don't ask, but it sure helps).

I had this album playing here the other day, when the doorbell suddenly rang. I forgot to turn the music down, so when my ancient grandmother stepped into the doorway - I felt the awkwardness and unbridled power of the saxophone in full force: It literally crept up my pants like a slithering Gabon viper - ending up like a huge bulk of ice cubes on my chest:

'What the hell is that racket in the back?!?!!??'

Now my grandmother doesn't normally swear, but on this occasion, my guess is that she found herself slightly bewildered and estranged by the situation, which is so unlike her and how she proposes to live life. She needs to be in control of things, and right there she didn't have the slightest clue of what was going down - neither did she quite comprehend that what indeed was emanating from the stereo was in fact music... Well it was, and as I unsuccessfully was trying my best to convey what I thought about some music that seeks the unfathomable and bizarre - and how such a thing can be utter brilliant and mind-blowing, she turned around and walked straight into the garden, kindly asking me to direct my parents out there, if I at some point encountered them during my day....

So there you have it: Don't approach this, if you're over 70 and have spend most of your life listening to music from the 40s. Elderly women watch out - this will probably not be for you, unless you are going through your second adolescence and want to irk your husband with a bunch of raunchy and confusing organ n' saxophone tunes that reek of chilli and garlic. 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#763928) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 04, 2012

2 stars There's nothing I like better than the sound of gunfire and missiles in music - and thats how this one kicks off! Unfortunately these great sound effects have clearly been laid down after an original jam that lasts the whole 37 minute duration. And unless my ears deceive me there's some 'not ... (read more)

Report this review (#404748) | Posted by Dobermensch | Monday, February 21, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MASAHIKO SATOH AND THE SOUNDBREAKERS "Amalgamation (Kokotsu No Showa Genroku)"