Faust - The Faust Tapes  CD (album) cover

THE FAUST TAPES

Faust

Krautrock

frankburke
1 stars I recall reading in NME when this first came out that this band were similar to Deep Purple or the new Deep Purple. I thought I couldn't go wrong, an album for the price of a single), so I went out and bought it. What a mistake! I flogged my copy to a friend of a friend for 10p. I later heard that he hung it in his back garden and shot it to pieces with an airgun.

I haven't heard this for decades, but bits of it still come back to haunt me. I recall that about 3 or maybe 5 bits were not too bad. Reading the above reviews lead me to suspect that one of these pieces may well have been "J'ai Mal Aux Dents". I actually taped these pieces to fill the end of the tape I made of Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII and soon discovered that they were only good in the context of the rest of the album, which was absolute garbage. On their own they were appalling.

Don't buy this unless you are the sort of person who has to have everything by a band. Even then, try and listen to it first. Avoid this like the plague, or try and find whatever it is that most of the above reviewers have taken and don't listen to it until you have had your fix because, as sure as eggs are eggs, they could not have listened to it clean (no offence).

| 1/5 |