Queen - At The Beeb CD (album) cover

erik neuteboom
4 stars WOW, Queen on the Prog Archives site! You can say that the team is challenging its reviewers and visitors. To me it's OK because first I'm a hugh fan from the early Queen- era, second Prog Archives have to be consequent after putting bands like Radiohead and Talk Talk to the site and third I have the opinion that early Queen is far more progressive than the Eighties Yes and Genesis! After reading that Queen is on the Prog Archives site, I discovered that this CD was not included so I just added it to the site. If you listen to the music on "At the beeb" (BBC studio recordings from 1973) you will discover that most of the songs matches a lot with the definition of progressive rock that you can find on this site. I admit that perhaps half of the songs on this CD are no more or less than great rock songs but if you listen to "Doin' alright", "Ogre battle", "Great king rat" and "Son and daughter", you will discover that these songs have compelling shifting moods and splendid breaks along some excellent piano work from Freddy Mercury and innovative guitar play by Brian May. So in my opinion Queen made progressive rock in the early Seventies. By the way, I'm waiting for The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Santana and Led Zeppelin on this site!
erik neuteboom | 4/5 |