AT THE BEEB

Good, but non-essential

Buy QUEEN Music
Live, released in 1989

1. My Fairy King (4:06)
2. Keep Yourself Alive (3:47)
3. Doin' Alright (4:11)
4. Liar (6:28)
5. Ogre Battle (3:56)
6. Great King Rat (5:57)
7. Modern Times Rock'n'roll (2:00)
8. Son And Daughter (7:08)

Tracks 1-4 were recorded on February 5th 1973
Tracks 5-8 were recorded on December 3rd 1973

Search QUEEN At The Beeb lyrics

Search QUEEN At The Beeb tabs

- Freddie Mercury / vocals, piano
- Brian May / guitar
- John Deacon / bass
- Roger Taylor / drums

Band Of Joy BOJCD001 (in cooperation with the BBC and EMI)
1973 BBC
1989 BBC Enterprises Ltd.
1989 Queen Productions Ltd.

Queen recorded several more BBC sessions between 1973 and 1977. The two sessions here are the only ones officially released, and unfortunately two of the less adventurous sessions of Queen's BBC recordings. --silversaw

Thanks to erik neuteboom for the addition
and to Fassbinder for the last updates

QUEEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEEN At The Beeb Music

Live at the Rainbow (Deluxe Box Set)Live at the Rainbow (Deluxe Box Set)
Hollywood Records 2014
Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)
Box set
Hollywood Records 1995
A Night at the Opera [Vinyl]A Night at the Opera [Vinyl]
Fontana Hollywood 2008
Vinyl$14.19
KIM MITCHELL[MAX WEBSTER]: ITCH [Acrimony,Karaoke Queen,Lemon Wedge+] FREE SHIP US $6.98 Buy It Now 30m 12s
QUEEN We Are The Champions / We Will Rock You 7" JAPAN 1977 NEAR MINT P-230E US $22.00 Buy It Now 31m 46s
(DO267) The Subwzys, Rock & Roll Queen - 2005 CD US $4.90 Buy It Now 32m 12s
2013 QUEEN II HR CUTTING JAPAN MINI LP PLATINUM SHM CD US $46.80 Buy It Now 36m 44s
The King Johnny Cash The Queen Tammy Wynette 12" COLUMBIA BOX SET GREAT SHAPE US $0.99 [0 bids]
37m 10s
LONNIE BARRON MICHIGAN ROCKABILLY/BOP SAGE LABEL 45-230 TEENAGE QUEEN HEAR!!!!! US $49.99 [0 bids]
38m 23s
Queen Bohemian Rhapsody / I'm In Love With My Car 7" Single 1975 EMI 2375 US $13.11 Buy It Now 39m 32s
Helen Shapiro(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Queen For Tonight -Ex/VG US $22.93 Buy It Now 40m 38s
Bobby Darin(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Queen Of The Hop / Lost Love-Ex/Ex US $27.84 Buy It Now 40m 56s
Dave Edmunds(7" Vinyl)Queen Of Hearts-Swan Song-SSK 19419-UK-Ex/VG+ US $8.18 Buy It Now 44m 1s
Deacon Blue(7" Vinyl P/S)Queen Of The New Year-CBS-DEAC 11-UK-Ex/Ex US $8.18 Buy It Now 44m 7s
Modern Romance(7" Vinyl P/S)Queen Of The Rapping Scene-Wea-K 18928-UK-VG/VG+ US $6.54 Buy It Now 44m 9s
Modern Romance(7" Vinyl P/S)Queen Of The Rapping Scene-Wea-K18928-UK-VG+/VG+ US $6.54 Buy It Now 44m 25s
Queen - Greatest Hits II (1991) US $3.26 [0 bids]
46m 19s
Queen - 7" Japan Promo White Label Freddie Mercury Rare US $72.50 Buy It Now 48m 4s
Billy Ocean 45 Mystery Lady / African Queen US $2.00 Buy It Now 48m 17s
Queen - Greatest Hits [EMI] (CD) US $4.08 [0 bids]
49m 14s
QUEEN A NIGHT AT THE OPERA NM LP US $75.00 Buy It Now 49m 57s
EARTHRISE II JAPAN CD 2500yen U2 QUEEN SEAL REM SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 50m 28s
ROCK QUEEN CLASSIC QUEEN CASSETTE LIGHTLY USED TESTED US $5.96 Buy It Now 51m 15s
ELDAD TARMU CHAMBER JAZZ ENSEMBLE- SONGS FOR THE QUEEN OF BOHEMIA US $7.25 Buy It Now 57m 42s
RARE Vintage VINYL Record 45RPM SINGLE 12" - BILLY OCEAN Caribbean Queen US $7.01 Buy It Now 58m 50s
QUEEN Part II Greatest Hits, 2 CD, compilation. US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
QUEEN-A DAY AT THE RACES-JAPAN MINI LP PLATINUM SHM-CD Ltd/Ed I50 US $42.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Queen of Hearts Hank Locklin LP Hilltop JS6063 VG+ US $9.99 [0 bids]
Billy Ocean 45 Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run) NM w/ts US $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Queen B'z - 1st Mini Album CD NEW $2.99 S/H bz US $12.59 Buy It Now 1h 14m
70'S BEST SELECTION - Japan CD ABBA CARPENTERS Bee Gees IOCC QUEEN BOZ SCAGGS US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
HAIRSPRAY MOVIE SOUNDTRACK CD Michelle Pfeiffer, Queen Latifah, John Travolta US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
QUEEN THE MIRACLE CASSETTE TAPE LIGHTLY USED US $5.96 Buy It Now 1h 16m
QUEEN A NIGHT AT THE OPERA NEAR MINT LP ISRAEL US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Original 1977 QUEEN News Of The World LP Vinyl Record ALBUM 12" 5C 062-60033 US $15.42 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Original 1984 QUEEN The Works LP Vinyl Record ALBUM 12" EMC 240014 US $9.64 Buy It Now 1h 20m
NEW YORK ENSEMBLE purcell the fairy queen LP Mint- MHS 4237 Vinyl 1980 Record US $5.20 Buy It Now 1h 22m
1977 - QUEEN - UK Tour Dates - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.73 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Queen: Body Language & Life Is Real (Song for Lennon) - Elektra E-47452, 1982 US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 28m
WOW! Sealed KAMPUCHEA LIVE 2LPs (Clash, Queen, Paul McCartney, Costello) MINT US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
THE CLASH / WHO / QUEEN concert for the people of kampuchea 2 LP VG SD 2-7005 US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Icon CD by ABBA Polar Label Waterloo Mamma Mia Fernando Dancing Queen SOS US $5.99 [0 bids]
1977 - QUEEN - First E.P. - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.73 Buy It Now 1h 36m
JOHNNY DANKWORTH AND HIS ORCHESTRA 7" SINGLE AFRICAN QUEEN 1961 US $1.62 [0 bids]
BANDIT QUEEN " MISS DANDYS " 12" VINYL MINT PLAYTIME RECORDS AMUSE 25T US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
QUEEN - Sheer Heart Attack Vinyl LP US $5.00 [1 bids]
H.M Coldstream Guards(2x12" Vinyl LP)The Queen's Silver Jubliee-VG+/Ex US $15.79 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Jimmy Dean - The Cajun Queen US $0.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN pink floyd LED ZEPPELIN the clash - OFFICIAL STICKER US $2.46 Buy It Now 1h 48m
QUEEN pink floyd LED ZEPPELIN the clash - OFFICIAL STICKER US $3.26 Buy It Now 1h 48m
STEPHANE GRAPPELLI live at queen elizabeth hall london LP Mint- PYE 12123 US $9.75 Buy It Now 1h 49m
QUEEN 7" PS Japan YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND s2146 US $15.80 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Greatest Hits [1992] by Queen (Cassette, Sep-1992, Hollywood) US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h
Queen Latifah All Hail the Queen 1989 *Monnie Love,De La Soul,Daddy-O,45 King US $4.00 [0 bids]
Naughty By Nature Greatest Hits Naughtys Nicest PROMO Queen Latifah,New Jersey US $4.00 [0 bids]
queen greatest hits album elektra 5E-564 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Stan Getz - Q-013 (Rare Italian Bootleg) (Queen Disc) Lp US $26.50 Buy It Now 2h 6m
queen the game album elektra 5E-513 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Queen Packet of 15 Full Colour Premium Guitar Picks US $8.18 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Queen - Back Chat 7" Vinyl P/S Single US $3.28 [0 bids]
Queen - I Want to Break Free 7" Vinyl P/S Single US $4.10 [0 bids]
The Fairy Queen - Harry Christophers New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $32.20 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Divine Maid In England German CD Rare Version Mint Drag Queen John Waters US $31.00 [0 bids]
ONEGIN QUEEN OF SPADES ANGEL STEREO LP 36376 WUNDERLICH US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Record LOUIS ST. LOUIS ROCK `N ROLL PARTY QUEEN 45 RPM, 7", RSO US $6.14 [0 bids]
Queen ?- Seven Seas Of Rhye 7" Vinyl 45 Original Classic 70's Rock Anthem US $5.65 Buy It Now 2h 28m
LP Record 6" Billy Ocean Mystery Lady 1984 Zomba Productions African Queen US $0.99 [0 bids]
EDI FITZROY AFRICAN QUEEN JA ORIG EARLY EIGHTIES REVIVE CLASSIC!! US $11.05 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Juice Newton 45 Queen Of Hearts / River Of Love US $1.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
LOVELY MIDGET-North Head-QUEEN MEANIE PUSS/Ambient-ROCK US $8.49 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Queen ~ The Game Album 1980 US $10.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN - BICYCLE RACE / FAT BOTTOME SP HUN.COPY! RARE! EX/EX FREE SHIPPING!!! US $28.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Queen(12"Vinyl)One Vision-EMI-12QUEEN 16-UK-VG/NM US $12.28 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Celia Cruz - Salsa Queen - DUETS Advance Promo CD - NM - Out Of Print US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
VINTAGE 45rpm RECORD: QUEEN - FLICK OF THE WRIST, KILLER QUEEN - 1974 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Rip Chords Columbia 45 "HEY LITTLE COBRA" / "THE QUEEN" US $9.99 [0 bids]
CONFEDERATE RAILROAD - QUEEN OF MEMPHIS/JESUS AND MAMA - 45 US $0.99 [0 bids]
7" QUEEN - WE ARE THE CHAMPION ITALIAN JUKE BOX PROMO 1977 US $19.99 [0 bids]
Organized Noize featuring Andrea Martin & Queen Latifah "Set It Off" (Cassette S US $3.99 [0 bids]
CD SINGLE QUEEN DAVID BOWIE UNDER PRESSURE US $1.62 [0 bids]
Queen Latifah Dance with me TommyBoy DanteRoss 45King DeLaSoul ATCQ Native rap US $1.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN-QUEEN 2-JAPAN MINI LP PLATINUM SHM-CD I50 US $42.50 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Nas & Ill Will Records Presents Queen - Finest Qb New & Sealed Compact Disc Free US $13.85 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Little Queen by Heart (Cassette, Jan-1985, Portrait) Great Pre Owned Condition US $2.99 [0 bids]
Size Queen 12" single MUSIC 4 mixes TWISTED 1998 Exc! US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 3m
DAVE & SUGAR - QUEEN OF THE SILVER DOLLAR/FOOLS - 45 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Next, Beauty Queen LP (VG) 12" US $9.29 Buy It Now 3h 12m
LADY ISADORA - Queen of Earth and Sky - RARE CASSETTE TAPE Pagan Witch 1990 US $8.99 [1 bids]
Three Kings and the Queen by Victoria Spivey (Vinyl, May-2013, Doxy Records) US $25.00 [0 bids]
ABBA Dancing Queen 7 Inch, 45 rpm Vinyl Record US $9.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN / A KIND OF MAGIC / 1986 7" P/S US $4.90 Buy It Now 3h 16m
QUEEN 1976 A Day At The Races 12" Vinyl 33 LP Somebody To Love ROCK VG US $19.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN / RADIO GA GA / 1984 7" P/S US $4.90 Buy It Now 3h 16m
New, GOOD CHARLOTTE - Evil Queen VINYL STICKER Decal US $2.77 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Aretha Franklin Queen of soul, the Atlantic Recordings four compact disc set US $10.50 [0 bids]
ANGEL QUADRAPHONIC Purcell "Birthday Odes for Queen Mary" MUNROW Burrows S-37251 US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 25m
7" Single P/S 45 - QUEEN - WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS - 1977 - Brazil US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Benny Whitehead - Queen Of My Heart - Reprise 1081 US $1.95 [0 bids]

More places to buy QUEEN music online Buy QUEEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEEN At The Beeb ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(35%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(33%)

QUEEN At The Beeb reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars WOW, Queen on the Prog Archives site! You can say that the team is challenging its reviewers and visitors. To me it's OK because first I'm a hugh fan from the early Queen- era, second Prog Archives have to be consequent after putting bands like Radiohead and Talk Talk to the site and third I have the opinion that early Queen is far more progressive than the Eighties Yes and Genesis! After reading that Queen is on the Prog Archives site, I discovered that this CD was not included so I just added it to the site. If you listen to the music on "At the beeb" (BBC studio recordings from 1973) you will discover that most of the songs matches a lot with the definition of progressive rock that you can find on this site. I admit that perhaps half of the songs on this CD are no more or less than great rock songs but if you listen to "Doin' alright", "Ogre battle", "Great king rat" and "Son and daughter", you will discover that these songs have compelling shifting moods and splendid breaks along some excellent piano work from Freddy Mercury and innovative guitar play by Brian May. So in my opinion Queen made progressive rock in the early Seventies. By the way, I'm waiting for The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Santana and Led Zeppelin on this site!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#40825) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 29, 2005

Review by clarke2001
3 stars This compilation includes track from the QUEEN's first self-titled album, plus "Ogre Battle", track from the "Queen II". Strange choice, but the record is valuable for collectors because of alternate recordings, and most of them are better than on the original album, although this will add nothing new, except for a few minor changes. "Ogre Battle" lacks fabulous backward-gong intro from "Queen II", and the rest of the songs are almost the same, with more raw guitar power. Progressive rock fans might be interested in the same track that are of interest on "Queen", over here they're only wrapped in more hard-rock ZEPPELIN-like package. However, it's nice to hear these tunes even with minor changes because they are usually not so exploited in QUEEN's catalogue.

Extended version of "Son And Daughter" is new progressive gem, clocking at more than 7 minutes, it includes parts that will be later recognized in excellent "Brighton Rock" on their third album (Brain's trademark playing scales on delay effect). Later the "Brighton Rock/Son And Daughter" will became usual QUEEN's practice on their live gigs, which of you can find fine example on their excellent live CD labelled "We Will Rock You".

Sound quality is better than on "Queen" album, but it lacks just a touch of polishing. I would rather prefer to hear tracks from the QUEEN's first in different, more progressive arrangements. Especially great tracks such are "Doin' Alright" and "Liar" which perhaps lack some development. I always had that impression that between first two QUEEN's albums is some gap. This might be the answer. Too bad that band evolved more exponentially than linear.

Solid 3 stars, perhaps a little bit more.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#96144) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 29, 2006

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Historic but not essential

For those who do not live in the UK, the BEEB is the name affectionately given to the BBC, the nation's prime TV and Radio broadcaster. Up until the late 1970's, there were strict limitations on the amount of recorded material radio stations were allowed to broadcast. In order to work within these quotas, bands would be invited to record sessions in the radio's studios. These sessions, although recorded live would often be performed without an audience, giving the music a raw sound, while lacking the atmosphere of a concert.

In February 1973, having toured for the best part of two years but still without a recording contract, Queen were invited to perform a session for the BBC. The four tracks they laid down make up side one of this LP. All would later appear on their first self titled album in more or less the same form. The versions here lack the relatively refined production of the first album, but the vocal harmonies and Brian May's distinctive guitar are already very much in evidence.

After their first album was released, Queen returned to the BBC for a second session in December 1973. This time, three further tracks from the first release we recorded, plus "Ogre battle", which would be included on "Queen 2", released a few months later. The version of "Ogre battle" here is once again entirely familiar, although it is slightly slower than the one which made it onto the album. Only "Son and daughter" has any real deviance from the album version, May taking the opportunity to demonstrate his guitar prowess a bit further.

This collection is therefore essentially an alternative, demo type version of the first album. It is of interest to fans of Queen for its historic significance. For anyone else, there really is no need to stray from the original album.

(Good to see the BBC's enthusiasm for protecting the listener from hearing naughty words at work, resulting in Freddie having to sing about "shovelling it".)

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#117692) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 09, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars I just would have hoped that this live set would be recorded in front of an audience like several other great BBC recordings (Floyd, Genesis, Purple, Bowie, Led Zep, Yes etc.).

I am a deep fan of their first album, and these two performances recorded at the BEEB almost fully cover this great album. As an addition, "Ogre Battle" is featured as well.

Most of the songs don't differ too much from their original recording. Except "Son And Daughter" which is extended to more than the double of its original format.

I really liked "Queen I" when I discovered it (1974). Therefore, I am seriously biased while reviewing this one. A great rock album, for sure. These pop sounds aren't yet invading their repertoire, but vocal harmonies are already top notch and songs as "Liar", "My Fairy King" are just great numbers.

But all the ones featured on this album are great to be honest. "Doing All Right" with its dual theme (slow paced and harmonious combined with a solid hard rock part) automatically reminds me of Led Zep of course ("Babe I'm Gonna Leave You").

This is an excellent snapshot of their early and great work. "Great king Rat" is particularly well played and the version of "Son & Daughter" is exceptional. A great guitar solo is featured which announces the wonderful "Brighton Rock" ("Sheer Heart Attack").

"Queen I" is one of my preferred album from the band (only topped by "Sheer Heart Attack" on my scale). And this "live" one is damned good as well. Of course you shouldn't expect a full live album since there is no audience participation at all (not even a hand clap from an engineer), but it is a great document from a major rock band in the history of music. And since the karaoke style of their later concerts was never a must for me, I can only be pleased by this excellent album.

As usual, you shouldn't expect too much prog in here. Maybe for their next live album?

Four stars for this one.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#160599) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 02, 2008

3 stars A nice release for fans of Queen's early music! All of the songs on this disc were recorded in 1973, the first half were recorded before the release of the band's debut album, the second half before the release of their second. This is a great way to hear Queen as they were without the studi ... (read more)

Report this review (#40916) | Posted by silversaw | Saturday, July 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of QUEEN "At The Beeb"