AT THE BEEB

Good, but non-essential

Buy QUEEN Music
Live, released in 1989

1. My Fairy King (4:06)
2. Keep Yourself Alive (3:47)
3. Doin' Alright (4:11)
4. Liar (6:28)
5. Ogre Battle (3:56)
6. Great King Rat (5:57)
7. Modern Times Rock'n'roll (2:00)
8. Son And Daughter (7:08)

Tracks 1-4 were recorded on February 5th 1973
Tracks 5-8 were recorded on December 3rd 1973

Search QUEEN At The Beeb lyrics

Search QUEEN At The Beeb tabs

- Freddie Mercury / vocals, piano
- Brian May / guitar
- John Deacon / bass
- Roger Taylor / drums

Band Of Joy BOJCD001 (in cooperation with the BBC and EMI)
1973 BBC
1989 BBC Enterprises Ltd.
1989 Queen Productions Ltd.

Queen recorded several more BBC sessions between 1973 and 1977. The two sessions here are the only ones officially released, and unfortunately two of the less adventurous sessions of Queen's BBC recordings. --silversaw

Thanks to erik neuteboom for the addition
and to Fassbinder for the last updates

QUEEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEEN At The Beeb Music

ForeverForever
Deluxe Edition
Hollywood Records 2014
Queen: Greatest Hits I & IIQueen: Greatest Hits I & II
Double CD
Hollywood Records 1995
Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)Greatest Hits I, II & III - The Platinum Collection (3CD)
Box set
Hollywood Records 2004
A Night at the Opera [Vinyl]A Night at the Opera [Vinyl]
Fontana Hollywood 2008
Vinyl$15.03
CD A KNIGHT'S TALE SNDTRK QUEEN WAR HEART BOWIE CLAPTON US $8.99 Buy It Now 30m 5s
Purcell:The Fairy Queen~Christie 2CDs HMU W.GERMANY OOP US $49.90 Buy It Now 33m 40s
QUEEN Rock Montreal DVD NEW & SEALED US $11.16 Buy It Now 37m 30s
Ayumi Hamasaki - Party Queen CD SM ENTERTA US $37.35 Buy It Now 38m 7s
Queen - Greatest Hits Ii CD US $17.01 Buy It Now 38m 30s
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 2 UK PRESS QUEEN, BOWIE, SMITH, MADNESS, NENA, ETC US $15.84 Buy It Now 40m 44s
Queen & David Bowie 7" vinyl - Under Pressure US $1.67 [2 bids]
42m 45s
Classic Dream Orchestra Stars on Classic-Queen CD US $2.12 Buy It Now 48m 22s
GEORGE MICHAEL & QUEEN - FIVE LIVE CD US $7.03 [0 bids]
53m 25s
JOHN JOHNSON [COMPOS - THE QUEEN'S GOODNIGHT - NEW CD US $17.64 Buy It Now 55m 14s
(ARETHA FRANKLIN-Queen of Soul)-giant of soul music-I4-LP US $17.60 Buy It Now 1h
QUEEN,HOT SPACE,TAPE,RARE CASSETTE ALBUM US $1.59 [0 bids]
Billy Ocean Caribbean Queen (No More Love on The Run) 7" Single US $8.03 Buy It Now 1h 3m
QUEEN TAPE MADE IN HEAVEN US $4.01 Buy It Now 1h 5m
A TRIBUTE TO QUEEN THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION 2 DISC CD'S US $1.43 [0 bids]
Rock Music : Queen : UK trade card US $2.41 Buy It Now 1h 10m
QUEEN II 1974 JAPAN CD OBI CP32 US $79.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
QUEEN CD QUEEN II1998 Japanese exclusive '25th Anniversary' US $8.03 [1 bids]
Rock & Roll Bobby Darin ATCO 45 "QUEEN OF THE HOP" US $9.99 [0 bids]
Otis Redding & Carla Thomas~Sealed Sundazed Reissue LP King & Queen R&B Soul US $21.96 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Queen(Brian May)-magazine picture US $8.01 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Queen-The Game Vinyl LP (White label edition) Elektra Records US $9.00 [0 bids]
z/ handmade greetings - birthday card ROGER TAYLOR / QUEEN US $8.83 Buy It Now 1h 25m
ANITA MUI ??? HONG KONG POP QUEEN LOT VINYL LP BAD GIRL US $59.90 [0 bids]
Senor & The Queen, Gaslight Anthem, Good US $9.82 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Queen Sheer Heart Attack RARE Cassette Album US $4.78 Buy It Now 1h 35m
QUEEN LATIFAH order in the court 2xLP SEALED motown 1998 bananas turn you on US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
TADZIO - Queen Of The Invisible - LP US $33.05 Buy It Now 1h 42m
The Funerals of THE QUEEN GALIFOUROU FROM TEKE (CONGO) - LP - French Radio TV US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
QUEEN - STORMTROOPERS (7") US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
QUEEN NEWS OF THE WORLD ALBUM COVER BADGE PIN US $1.59 Buy It Now 1h 44m
COLLECTION OF 5 QUEEN ALBUM COVERS AS BADGES / PINS FREE POSTAGE IN THE UK US $9.63 Buy It Now 1h 45m
QUEEN HOT SPACE ALBUM COVER BADGE PIN US $1.61 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Queen - Heaven for everyone CD PART 2 US $8.01 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Queen- Flesh Gordon (Remaster) - 2771769 US $20.51 Buy It Now 1h 51m
QUEEN - GREATEST HITS II - JAPAN SACD SHM - Factory Sealed CD - UIGY-9533 US $60.38 [0 bids]
QUEEN - GREATEST HITS - JAPAN SACD SHM - NEW JEWEL CASE EDITION - OUT OF PRINT US $100.99 [0 bids]
Queen~Queen Rocks. 1997. CD US $2.09 [0 bids]
QUEEN LATIFAH -LATIFAH'S HAD IT UP 2 HERE---NAUGHTY BY NATURE---RARE REMIXES!!! US $1.15 Buy It Now 1h 56m
O Moon Queen Of Night On Earth 0093624961529, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P US $21.81 Buy It Now 2h
Queen - Now I'm Here / Lily Of The Valley EMI 2256 UK 1974 7" vinyl A-1/B-2 1st US $11.22 Buy It Now 2h
QUEEN_Greatest Hits II_used cassette_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $10.56 Buy It Now 2h
Brian May hand signed 12x8 picture QUEEN Freddie Mercury #775 US $64.13 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Mr Harry Lauder Queen Among The Heather One Sided 10" 78 Rpm Gramophone Record US $14.43 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Queen - Radio Ga Ga EEC PRESSING JUKEBOX 7" US $9.62 Buy It Now 2h 9m
QUEEN - DOCUMENT [QUEEN] - NEW CD US $16.95 [0 bids]
QUEEN - The Miracle - Cassette U.S. Press 1989 Capitol Records C4 92357 US $6.48 Buy It Now 2h 18m
QUEEN B'Z - 1ST MINI ALBUM CD (SEALED) + UNFOLD POSTER $2.99 S&H K-POP US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 18m
QUEEN B'Z - 1ST MINI ALBUM CD (SEALED) $2.99 S&H K-POP US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
O Moon Queen of Night on Earth - Jonathan Richman New & Sealed Compact Disc Free US $17.11 Buy It Now 2h 19m
JON BON JOVI Queen Of New Orleans 1997 UK 8-track 2-CD single set US $11.20 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Queen Greatest Hits Vols. I, II & III 3 CD set 51 Hits US $26.98 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Tolga Kashif- The QUEEN Symphony CD (Music of Queen/Freddie Mercury) Classical US $20.85 Buy It Now 2h 29m
(651I) The Good The Bad & The Queen, Herculean - DJ CD US $5.54 Buy It Now 2h 31m
20 BIT K2 The Ellington Suites: The Queen's Suite/The Goutelas Suite US $12.99 [0 bids]
PROMO WHITE LABEL / GETTIN SMILE - SMILE - QUEEN / MONO US $249.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
JAH STITCH African Queen 45 dub roots reggae Prophets Jamaica Listen HEAR MP3 US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Queen Crest Logo Button Badge Ex 4 cms 1 1/2" Vintage 1980s US $16.05 Buy It Now 2h 37m
rock n roll 45 record lot seger costello cinderella whitesnake queen gabriel US $15.99 [0 bids]
SANDY HANCOCK - WITH LOVE LP GUNN RECORDS STEREO MISSISSIPPI QUEEN EDDIE BAYARD US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Queen of Soul: The Atlantic Recordings [Box] by Aretha Franklin (CD,... US $10.00 [1 bids]
QUEEN one vision EXTENDED Version/Blurred vision 12" single US $12.84 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Suzanne Vega - Tales From The Realm Of The Queen Of Pentacles (NEW CD) US $18.04 Buy It Now 2h 50m
REDBONE-(45)-THE WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS / CHANT: 13TH HOUR -EPIC-10749 -1972 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Japan Magazine Book feat Queen Freddie Mercury Prince Bon Jovi Gary Moore US $54.99 Buy It Now 3h
Queen - News Of The World - EMA 784 - LP Vinyl Record US $16.04 Buy It Now 3h
Queen - The Game - EMA 795 - LP Vinyl Record US $19.25 Buy It Now 3h
Queen The Game US $8.00 [0 bids]
QUEEN - CD Platinum Disc-THE MIRACLE US $140.46 Buy It Now 3h 8m
PATTI PAGE - THE WALTZ QUEEN - MONO Mercury LP 1955 SEALED COPY US $48.88 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Queen - Greatest Hits II (1991) US $6.40 Buy It Now 3h 15m
PICTURE DISC / BRIAN MAY / RESURRECTION / COZY POWELL / QUEEN / ROGER TAYLOR US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Carla Thomas "Memphis Queen" Soul LP Stax US $7.99 [1 bids]
Carla Thomas "The Queen Alone" Soul LP Stax Mono US $9.00 [3 bids]
Genesis / Queen / Oldfield / 10 CC / Roxy Music / Kate Bush / OMD / RARE 2xCD US $21.74 Buy It Now 3h 20m
QUEEN, FREDDIE MERCURY T SHIRT. UNIQUE... CLOTHING CLASSIC ROCK US $20.85 Buy It Now 3h 24m
SEVEN SEAS OF RHYE / QUEEN / FREDDIE MERCURY / PICTURE SLEEVE / BRIAN MAY / 45 US $100.00 Buy It Now 3h 25m
QUEEN THE WORKS IRISH PRESS vinyl LP US $12.83 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Queen Greastest Hits Japan CD w/obi CP32-5381 US $22.99 Buy It Now 3h 34m
THE EURYTHMICS "THE KING & QUEEN OF AMERICA" / "SEE NO EVIL" 7" PICT. SLEEVE 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Bruiser Queen Cake Like MUSIC CD US $8.21 Buy It Now 3h 35m
BBC's OLD GREY WHISTLE TEST 1975 Ft Queen VAN MORRISON Daltrey WAKEMAN Flack US $14.43 Buy It Now 3h 37m
MAGGIE BELL Queen Of The Night POLYDOR 1974 UK press US $14.43 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Ultimate 80's (Album Of Decade) 2xCD U2 Bowie Queen Duran Duran New Order Yazoo US $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
LOVE ME LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW / FREDDIE MERCURY / QUEEN / 45 / BRIAN MAY US $13.50 Buy It Now 3h 39m
7"-Single DAVID BOWIE - Rebel Rebel / Queen Bitch (1974) GERMANY PS US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
King & Queen (Italo Disco, Eurobeat) - Season JAPAN CD OBI 1995 AVCD-11298 US $17.74 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Carol Douglas 12" PROMO Dancing Queen /In the Morning US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 48m
7" EP P/S 45 - MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS - JOHNNY MATHIS/JOHN BARRY - 1972 - BRAZIL US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 49m
New Model Army - Queen Of My Heart / Brother / Rainy Night CD 1998 EMI ELECTROLA US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 49m
BASIC BEATS SAMPLER CD NEW M- DJ SHADOW/QUEEN/ORGANIZED KONFUSION US $7.99 [0 bids]
Queen's FREDDIE MERCURY prod EDDIE HOWELL "Man From Manhattan" OZ WBros 7" 45 VG US $8.79 [0 bids]
Gaia Truth And Illusion Female Fronted AOR Joal Queen Of Spades ZOTL Toxic Love US $19.26 [1 bids]
QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS the cosmos rocks JAPAN CD TOCP-70615 OBI US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 56m
45 RPM 2 Records Queen US $5.00 [0 bids]
QUEEN *Radio Ga Ga/I Go Crazy* RARE ORIG PS 7" CANADA 1984 CAPITOL #B-5317 NM! US $8.91 [0 bids]
2 LP Lot Queen "Sheer Heart Attack" & Accept "Kaizoku-Ban: Live In Japan" US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h
Queen - Body Language / Life Is Real (Song For Lennon) 45 rpm 1977 US $3.00 [0 bids]
Queen Football Fight / Flash's Theme AKA Flash 1980 Elektra E-47092 7" 45RPM US $3.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN & WYCLEF JEAN - Another One...- HIP HOP ROCK 12" US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 6m

More places to buy QUEEN music online Buy QUEEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEEN At The Beeb ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(35%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(33%)

QUEEN At The Beeb reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars WOW, Queen on the Prog Archives site! You can say that the team is challenging its reviewers and visitors. To me it's OK because first I'm a hugh fan from the early Queen- era, second Prog Archives have to be consequent after putting bands like Radiohead and Talk Talk to the site and third I have the opinion that early Queen is far more progressive than the Eighties Yes and Genesis! After reading that Queen is on the Prog Archives site, I discovered that this CD was not included so I just added it to the site. If you listen to the music on "At the beeb" (BBC studio recordings from 1973) you will discover that most of the songs matches a lot with the definition of progressive rock that you can find on this site. I admit that perhaps half of the songs on this CD are no more or less than great rock songs but if you listen to "Doin' alright", "Ogre battle", "Great king rat" and "Son and daughter", you will discover that these songs have compelling shifting moods and splendid breaks along some excellent piano work from Freddy Mercury and innovative guitar play by Brian May. So in my opinion Queen made progressive rock in the early Seventies. By the way, I'm waiting for The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Santana and Led Zeppelin on this site!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#40825) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 29, 2005

Review by clarke2001
3 stars This compilation includes track from the QUEEN's first self-titled album, plus "Ogre Battle", track from the "Queen II". Strange choice, but the record is valuable for collectors because of alternate recordings, and most of them are better than on the original album, although this will add nothing new, except for a few minor changes. "Ogre Battle" lacks fabulous backward-gong intro from "Queen II", and the rest of the songs are almost the same, with more raw guitar power. Progressive rock fans might be interested in the same track that are of interest on "Queen", over here they're only wrapped in more hard-rock ZEPPELIN-like package. However, it's nice to hear these tunes even with minor changes because they are usually not so exploited in QUEEN's catalogue.

Extended version of "Son And Daughter" is new progressive gem, clocking at more than 7 minutes, it includes parts that will be later recognized in excellent "Brighton Rock" on their third album (Brain's trademark playing scales on delay effect). Later the "Brighton Rock/Son And Daughter" will became usual QUEEN's practice on their live gigs, which of you can find fine example on their excellent live CD labelled "We Will Rock You".

Sound quality is better than on "Queen" album, but it lacks just a touch of polishing. I would rather prefer to hear tracks from the QUEEN's first in different, more progressive arrangements. Especially great tracks such are "Doin' Alright" and "Liar" which perhaps lack some development. I always had that impression that between first two QUEEN's albums is some gap. This might be the answer. Too bad that band evolved more exponentially than linear.

Solid 3 stars, perhaps a little bit more.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#96144) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 29, 2006

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Historic but not essential

For those who do not live in the UK, the BEEB is the name affectionately given to the BBC, the nation's prime TV and Radio broadcaster. Up until the late 1970's, there were strict limitations on the amount of recorded material radio stations were allowed to broadcast. In order to work within these quotas, bands would be invited to record sessions in the radio's studios. These sessions, although recorded live would often be performed without an audience, giving the music a raw sound, while lacking the atmosphere of a concert.

In February 1973, having toured for the best part of two years but still without a recording contract, Queen were invited to perform a session for the BBC. The four tracks they laid down make up side one of this LP. All would later appear on their first self titled album in more or less the same form. The versions here lack the relatively refined production of the first album, but the vocal harmonies and Brian May's distinctive guitar are already very much in evidence.

After their first album was released, Queen returned to the BBC for a second session in December 1973. This time, three further tracks from the first release we recorded, plus "Ogre battle", which would be included on "Queen 2", released a few months later. The version of "Ogre battle" here is once again entirely familiar, although it is slightly slower than the one which made it onto the album. Only "Son and daughter" has any real deviance from the album version, May taking the opportunity to demonstrate his guitar prowess a bit further.

This collection is therefore essentially an alternative, demo type version of the first album. It is of interest to fans of Queen for its historic significance. For anyone else, there really is no need to stray from the original album.

(Good to see the BBC's enthusiasm for protecting the listener from hearing naughty words at work, resulting in Freddie having to sing about "shovelling it".)

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#117692) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 09, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars I just would have hoped that this live set would be recorded in front of an audience like several other great BBC recordings (Floyd, Genesis, Purple, Bowie, Led Zep, Yes etc.).

I am a deep fan of their first album, and these two performances recorded at the BEEB almost fully cover this great album. As an addition, "Ogre Battle" is featured as well.

Most of the songs don't differ too much from their original recording. Except "Son And Daughter" which is extended to more than the double of its original format.

I really liked "Queen I" when I discovered it (1974). Therefore, I am seriously biased while reviewing this one. A great rock album, for sure. These pop sounds aren't yet invading their repertoire, but vocal harmonies are already top notch and songs as "Liar", "My Fairy King" are just great numbers.

But all the ones featured on this album are great to be honest. "Doing All Right" with its dual theme (slow paced and harmonious combined with a solid hard rock part) automatically reminds me of Led Zep of course ("Babe I'm Gonna Leave You").

This is an excellent snapshot of their early and great work. "Great king Rat" is particularly well played and the version of "Son & Daughter" is exceptional. A great guitar solo is featured which announces the wonderful "Brighton Rock" ("Sheer Heart Attack").

"Queen I" is one of my preferred album from the band (only topped by "Sheer Heart Attack" on my scale). And this "live" one is damned good as well. Of course you shouldn't expect a full live album since there is no audience participation at all (not even a hand clap from an engineer), but it is a great document from a major rock band in the history of music. And since the karaoke style of their later concerts was never a must for me, I can only be pleased by this excellent album.

As usual, you shouldn't expect too much prog in here. Maybe for their next live album?

Four stars for this one.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#160599) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 02, 2008

3 stars A nice release for fans of Queen's early music! All of the songs on this disc were recorded in 1973, the first half were recorded before the release of the band's debut album, the second half before the release of their second. This is a great way to hear Queen as they were without the studi ... (read more)

Report this review (#40916) | Posted by silversaw | Saturday, July 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of QUEEN "At The Beeb"